One baby chick all of a sudden can’t stand

Zwagener

Hatching
Jun 2, 2020
Hi all, I have 4 chicks ranging from 3ish-4ish weeks old. One of the younger ones all of a sudden cannot Walk. It began with her slipping and so I tried doing a splint for wabbled legs but after a day (24hrs) in it she keeps falling backwards on her butt. She is also curling her toes.

Tonight we tried giving her eggs because we thought it might be the vitamin deficiency listed on here. She ate quite a bit of the egg while I held her. She is also drinking a lot when I put her near the water.
But I am concerned that it might not be enough. I would love some suggestions of things to try or what you think it might be. I attached a photo of how she is laying with the other chicks (on her side).

Attachments

• 6C6FD446-C403-4D5A-9221-69E13338EB1E.jpeg
    6C6FD446-C403-4D5A-9221-69E13338EB1E.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 42
Can you take a pic of her in white light? What is that light spot near her vent, she seems a bit old for pasty butt. What do you feed? Any treats? Grit? Plain water or ...? What is the temp on the floor of the brooder?

The brooder floor is 80-85 degrees. We feed her organic chick starter feed with grit. The water is plain. That was picture was just a gap in the lighting. It really seems like she just can’t use the upper part of her leg to stand on so she loses balance

Attachments

• A2D70DD1-69CB-470D-AEE1-D68EB0872802.jpeg
    A2D70DD1-69CB-470D-AEE1-D68EB0872802.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 9
The brooder floor is 80-85 degrees. We feed her organic chick starter feed with grit. The water is plain. That was picture was just a gap in the lighting. It really seems like she just can’t use the upper part of her leg to stand on so she loses balance
She also gets meal worm treats

How is she today, better, worse or about the same as yesterday? Is she still pooping, eating and drinking? Can she get away from the heat lamp if she wants? @Eggcessive, do you think this chick would benefit from NutriDrench of Vitamin B in its water?

Curling of the toes is a good indicator of a riboflavin deficiency, less common Mareks disease. I think I'd try supplementing her with some B complex for a few days, and wait for any improvements. In addition to that, keep her in a warm, quiet stressful free area and offer her feed and water often, scrambled eggs are good too.

You can also use human vitamin B complex tablets, very inexpensive 1/2 tablet or less each day. It crushes and dissolves in water and can be added to food or water. If you could get a picture of her legs in a normal position from the front while someone holds her up, that would be helpful to see if there is a slipped tendon or leg bone deformity.

Chick slings or chairs are very helpful for several hours a day to get them up and in front of food and water. Take the out for breaks and to sleep. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

If you do choose to use vitamin B complex tablets, make sure it actually contains riboflavin, and ensure that it's not labeled as Flush Free, No Flush, Extended Release, or slow-release as they will do little to no good for your chick.

Back
Top Bottom