One baby chick pecking all the others.

Joonsgirl81

In the Brooder
May 26, 2022
I just got my chicks this week. It's my first time. I have four 8 day old Cinnamon Queens and five 4 day old Dominiques together in one brooder. Yesterday I noticed one of the little Dominiques is going around and pecking all the others, like she will go from one to the other all day long. They all peck each other a little, but not like this one. The others don't seem super annoyed by it, but I'm still worried that its a bully and one of them will get hurt. It isn't even scared to go peck the slightly bigger Cinnamon Queen chicks. I had expected if any of them were bullies, it would be the bigger ones, not one of the smaller ones. I'm not sure how to deal with it. I know they establish a pecking order pretty quick, but I don't know how to tell what's normal and what is a problem. I was told that mama hens will stop chicks bad behavior and I should gently tap its back when its pecking, but obviously I'm not sitting there 24/7, so I don't know how bad it gets when I'm not looking. I've also been worried that my brooder is not big enough. I've got 9 chicks in a plastic tote that is 42 inches long by 22 inches wide by 18 inches high. A friend said they would outgrow it fast and I would need something bigger. They seem to have enough room for now, but I've read that being too crowded ad stressed can make them peck each other. Any idea would be much appreciated.

I've got 9 chicks in a plastic tote that is 42 inches long by 22 inches wide

Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of chickens.

As a general rule, chicks need 1/2 square foot each for the first 2-3 weeks, 1 square foot each until 4-6 weeks, 2 square feet each until 8-12 weeks, and after that 2 square feet each like adults. Some breeds are more active than others.

Your brooder has 6 square feet -- including the space taken up by the feeder and waterer -- theoretically enough space for 10-12 chicks until 2 weeks or 5-6 chicks until 4 weeks.

If you *can* give them more space it's probably a good idea to do so. BUT, if no one is getting hurt it's probably not a problem.

Once the younger ones are securely capable of finding their way around and locating the food, water, and heat source, you can enrich their environment with twigs to perch on, bricks, a small box to go into or get on top of, etc. (I always give them their shipping box with cut outs on at least 2 sides so they can't get trapped).

What bedding are you using?

A lot of people are using puppy pads now instead of shavings and I worry about that frustrating their instinct to scratch and dig. Frustrated instincts often cause behavioral issues in domestic animals.

Welcome to BYC and the wonderful world of chickens.

As a general rule, chicks need 1/2 square foot each for the first 2-3 weeks, 1 square foot each until 4-6 weeks, 2 square feet each until 8-12 weeks, and after that 2 square feet each like adults. Some breeds are more active than others.

Your brooder has 6 square feet -- including the space taken up by the feeder and waterer -- theoretically enough space for 10-12 chicks until 2 weeks or 5-6 chicks until 4 weeks.

If you *can* give them more space it's probably a good idea to do so. BUT, if no one is getting hurt it's probably not a problem.

Once the younger ones are securely capable of finding their way around and locating the food, water, and heat source, you can enrich their environment with twigs to perch on, bricks, a small box to go into or get on top of, etc. (I always give them their shipping box with cut outs on at least 2 sides so they can't get trapped).

What bedding are you using?

A lot of people are using puppy pads now instead of shavings and I worry about that frustrating their instinct to scratch and dig. Frustrated instincts often cause behavioral issues in domestic animals.
Thank you! I have pine shavings on top of paper towels. I use the paper towels under them because it makes it easier to just roll up and get rid of the old shavings when I clean it. These love to scratch and make little holes to lay in. I had a little roost I bought but they don't care about it. I put in a couple sticks and rocks and they've been starting to sit on those.

Thank you! I have pine shavings on top of paper towels. I use the paper towels under them because it makes it easier to just roll up and get rid of the old shavings when I clean it. These love to scratch and make little holes to lay in. I had a little roost I bought but they don't care about it. I put in a couple sticks and rocks and they've been starting to sit on those.

I don't have as much experience as some, but I've tried to learn from the long-time chicken people and what I've learned is that space and things to do seems to be the key to warding off most behavior problems.

Back
Top Bottom