One Baby, No Momma! Please help!

Forget Mum! It's been several days and she won't accept the chick now, nor will the chick accept her. Hens are like humans. Some are super Mothers and some just go mental.

The chick needs time to know you, it doesn't happen in a few days.
It's already doing much better today actually. It's happy being out with me, but I've had it in the brooder since I went out to try to get the mom back in the run and it's coping pretty well. I put a stuffy in there like people suggested. It's halfway wedged under the brooder plate so she can snuggle with it at night if she wants, but I'm thinking the whole thing must be warmed up from that, cause she's sitting on top of the part of it that's sticking out.

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be stubborn or difficult or anything. Mom and I both feel terrible about this entire thing and it's really hard and embarrassing to admit on the internet, where things live forever. And I really enjoy this community
I dont have a lot to contribute here, but just wanted to say that no one is judging you for this, we're just trying to find the best way to help you.

Forget Mum! It's been several days and she won't accept the chick now, nor will the chick accept her. Hens are like humans. Some are super Mothers and some just go mental.
Uh, it has been barely 2 days, not several. Plus if she is still responding to the chick calls, she is still looking for the chick. And the hen didn't go mental, she did what her instincts told her to do.

I dont have a lot to contribute here, but just wanted to say that no one is judging you for this, we're just trying to find the best way to help you.
Thank you. I feel so guilty/stupid/terrible. Your kind words are very much appreciated. And this applies to everyone who has said supportive/comforting things.

Guys, it has been a bad day. I went out yesterday to do some repairs and I was shocked to find that one of my hens hatched a lone egg. There was a little tiny baby chick following her around outside. Now, it's cold where I live, and the rainy season is starting in earnest (no weather for a baby to be outdoors in), plus there's no food that a baby could reach/eat out there, or water, plus I was worried about the baby getting trampled or hurt by the other chickens, so I decided to bring momma and baby indoors to separate them and let the chick get bigger/hardier before returning them to the flock outside.

Well, I caught baby and momma, but before I could walk into my house, momma wriggled free and BOLTED. She is gone. She ran clean out of my yard, into my neighbor's yard, and probably beyond. There is no sign of her. So now I have a lone chick in my room, crying and crying. I have no other chicks I can put in with it, and I tried bringing in another of my (only broody at inopportune times) hens, but even though the baby was willing to sit under her/hide in her feathers, she's not broody or interested in being a momma, and just pecks the poor little thing. I put her back outside again.

I have the baby in a box with a brooder plate and some wet mash. It just cries and cries.

What can I even do at this point? I'm beside myself. :hit I'm praying that when it gets to be bedtime that the mom will come back, but I'm not holding my breath. She ran so far. I wouldn't be shocked if she's lost and can't find her way back.

How can I keep this poor baby alive at this point? I feel like it's gonna die from stress just being alone. Please help me. T-T

I feel so defeated. I had the mom in my hands and she just slipped through and now the baby is probably going to die. I feel so terrible. :hit I'm a failure as a chicken parent.
This is a tough situation you're in! Don't worry, you are not a failure as a chicken parent, and the chick isn't going to die. If momma hen doesn't come back, set up a brooder for the little one and spend time with it. maybe give it some treats and keep it with a friend (even if the friend is fake). The chick will soon adapt.

Uh, it has been barely 2 days, not several. Plus if she is still responding to the chick calls, she is still looking for the chick. And the hen didn't go mental, she did what her instincts told her to do.
Yeah, it's been a little over 24 hours at this point. I don't want to write momma off yet. I just need to get her back in the run. She's not a bad hen. She just gets scared really easily. And she's practically a flighted bird. Not a little loaf bird like a lot of chickens, so she can cover a lot more ground. I appreciate the support though. Thank you.

Yeah, it's been a little over 24 hours at this point. I don't want to write momma off. I just need to get her back in the run. She's not a bad hen. She just gets scared really easily. And she's practically a flighted bird. Not a little loaf bird like a lot of chickens, so she can cover a lot more ground. I appreciate the support though. Thank you.
where are the rest of the flock? Could you put them all securely away and leave the run open, with some food and water? You'd have to wait, watch and hide, but you may be able to shut her in

Yeah, it's been a little over 24 hours at this point. I don't want to write momma off yet. I just need to get her back in the run. She's not a bad hen. She just gets scared really easily. And she's practically a flighted bird. Not a little loaf bird like a lot of chickens, so she can cover a lot more ground. I appreciate the support though. Thank you.
Will she come back tonight at dusk? If you can catch her and put her in the stool in the coop with baby or in your brooder I think you will be good.

I would just wash up the cages that you have and bunch up a towel or something a few inches up along the edges, it will likely stay close to mama. or if you can tack up some plastic a couple inches along the bottom that will probably work. I just use a basic plastic small dog crate (think hard plastic with solid bottom and slates along the top section, only needed it for a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom