One chick has hatched completely others are not pipping

Still no more chicks. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but, it's possible that some of the eggs occassionally move. This one chick is desperate for some company! I'll keep everyone posted!

If there is movement of the eggs, that's the chicks getting into hatching position with their head underneath their ring wing. That's a good thing. I hatch in cartons and don't see as much movement as some folks. I think the egg remains more stable and the chick doesn't have to rock it around to get into position.

Good luck....keep us posted.

So, out of my 9 Buff Orp, 9 RIR and 5 White leghorn eggs, I have 1 buff orp and 1 white leghorn. The white leghorns were set in the incubator 2 days after the BO's and RIR's so, today is day 21 for them. There's 1 more WL that has pipped. I think that something has happened to the rest of the RIR's and Orp's and they're not going to hatch. It's very sad!!!! I know that the chicks were alive a few days ago.

Have you taken each eggs out and listened to it? Tap and listen again. If it's past day 23, I'd make a small hole in the large end and begin to slowly peel back the shell until you can see the chick. Check for movement...you may even need to lightly press on the chick to elicit any movement.

I opened all but the white leghorns. They were all dead or just yolk and the leghorn that was pipping died as well. I wish I would have known he was having trouble and I could have helped him. Something went wrong at some point. I'm not sure when because they are brown eggs and I'm not a very successful candler.

But, still waiting on some White leghorns!!!

Back
Top Bottom