One chick has hatched completely others are not pipping

swtmarine

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
I'm wondering if something is wrong. I have 23 eggs in an incubator. One chick starting pipping at exactly 21 days to the hour. That one chick has hatched now and is all by himself. None of the other eggs have even begun to pip, should I be worried? This is my first try at incubating eggs so, I'm a little green. Thanks!!

Last edited:
there is usually one adventuresome one that comes first. Give them time Any peeping that you can hear?

I don't hear any peeping except for the little guy that's out and running around. I didn't hear him/her peep until it had made a good sized whole in its shell either. is it safe to open the incubator long enough to listen?

IMO...YES!!!!! No, seriously. I wouldn't open it just to listen for peeping. No worries...sometimes a bunch of them will all pip within a couple of hours...then wait quite awhile before they begin zipping.

any rocking, peeping anything going on? I know that some people here have chicks 'alone' waiting for fellow hatchlings for a day or more. Good luck, keep us posted!

Yes, it can be. If you don't see pips within the next 6 hours or so, I would quickly remove one of the eggs and place it next to your ear. You may hear peeping...and if you don't, I'd lightly tap the egg with my fingernail. Sometimes you have to wake them up.

Also, your eggs should feel very light to pick up. If they are still very heavy, then the chick likely hasn't absorbed the yolk and there is too much fluid around the chick. That may be one reason they aren't hatching yet.

You can also quickly candle and see if the chick has pipped the aircell. YOu can usually see a little pointed beak up in the aircell area.

Cool - I didn't know that about the weight. When I removed mr. spunky I also moved an egg that was in a bad spot - it did seem oddly light. It is also the one that I think the peeping is coming from!

Definitely! I had one pip, zip, hatch, dry and begin panting in the bator a solid 24 -30 hours before the rest. He is still bigger today.
smile.png

Good luck!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom