One chick is tiny compared to the others

I have one that is an Easter egger. The rest of her flock is the same age but she is insanely small and her body is their size but her legs are soooo short. She's super healthy and spunky just a little smaller at 9 weeks still. I think she may be a dwarf.

I’ve got some runts in my flocks. Came from smaller eggs, and the hens aren’t huge, either.

I’m not sure if this is related, but I have noticed with a couple chicks that they were getting a pasty butt, so I’m having to check everyday to make sure it’s not getting bad again. Those have been the smallest runts I had.
We've had a bit of the pasty butt all over but my wife has stayed on top of it for the most part. Hoping it's just a runt but it seems like a case of wait and see.

Little bit of a necro here but I think we figured out what was going on. This chicken has developed a pretty serious looking cross beak and the internet suggests that would cause her to be smaller since she has a harder time eating. We have been wetting some food for them recently and she gets after it pretty good on the wet food. Attaching some pictures to show the beak now.

Since the rest of them are growing fine I'm going to chalk the issue up to an injury when we bought her or something along those lines.

Attachments

• messages_0 (4).jpeg
    messages_0 (4).jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 4
  • messages_0 (3).jpeg
    messages_0 (3).jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 4
  • messages_0 (2).jpeg
    messages_0 (2).jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 4
Little bit of a necro here but I think we figured out what was going on. This chicken has developed a pretty serious looking cross beak and the internet suggests that would cause her to be smaller since she has a harder time eating. We have been wetting some food for them recently and she gets after it pretty good on the wet food. Attaching some pictures to show the beak now.

Since the rest of them are growing fine I'm going to chalk the issue up to an injury when we bought her or something along those lines.
Problem solved! Good for you accommodating here and the cross beak doesn't look too serious. She should be able to have a good life with minimal accommodations once she grows a bit.

We got all these chicks 3 weeks ago on Friday and they're all doing really well. However one of them is still absolutely tiny. It's eating and drinking but it also stays in the corner out of the way more but every time we are worried about it not eating we will see it head over and eat/drink then go back to it's corner. Putting a picture below to see the size difference, they were all bought at the same time and were all the same size when we got them.
I have the same thing with one of my legbars! I cannot find an answer as to why she is so tiny! She is having balance issues. But other than that she is fine. I have her separated to give her extra rest and vitamin.

We got all these chicks 3 weeks ago on Friday and they're all doing really well. However one of them is still absolutely tiny. It's eating and drinking but it also stays in the corner out of the way more but every time we are worried about it not eating we will see it head over and eat/drink then go back to it's corner. Putting a picture below to see the size difference, they were all bought at the same time and were all the same size when we got them.
I have one like this now at 3 weeks she is finally just starting to get a lil bigger she is tiny compared to the rest but she holds her own and is thriving I noticed over this week she actually got bigger all of a sudden but I thought she was gonna get mowed over cause the others would run right over her but now she flys up on roost and is fine

Back
Top Bottom