One chick is tiny compared to the others

MCaldwell

Hatching
May 10, 2023
We got all these chicks 3 weeks ago on Friday and they're all doing really well. However one of them is still absolutely tiny. It's eating and drinking but it also stays in the corner out of the way more but every time we are worried about it not eating we will see it head over and eat/drink then go back to it's corner. Putting a picture below to see the size difference, they were all bought at the same time and were all the same size when we got them.

Attachments

• IMG_20230508_103526994.jpg
    IMG_20230508_103526994.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 150
I also have that exact problem... but i don't know why.
It could be she hatched out of a small egg, or just a runt... sorry i couldn't be more helpful.
I had a couple last time that hatched from small eggs so started out smaller but pretty much stayed the same difference in size. This tiny one started the same size, egg was close to same size as others. But I hatched 4 eggs from the same hen and this chick is the only one that is still this tiny

pretty normal i think, especially if the gene pool is somewhat mixed .. most of the time chicks of different sizes mix right in and get along as long as the physical size doesnt crowd smaller ones away from food and water .. ive dropped tiny chicks into a box of younger even smaller ones before so theyre now the biggest one lol .. whatever works best ..

We got all these chicks 3 weeks ago on Friday and they're all doing really well. However one of them is still absolutely tiny. It's eating and drinking but it also stays in the corner out of the way more but every time we are worried about it not eating we will see it head over and eat/drink then go back to it's corner. Putting a picture below to see the size difference, they were all bought at the same time and were all the same size when we got them.
I’ve got some runts in my flocks. Came from smaller eggs, and the hens aren’t huge, either.

I’m not sure if this is related, but I have noticed with a couple chicks that they were getting a pasty butt, so I’m having to check everyday to make sure it’s not getting bad again. Those have been the smallest runts I had.

I have one that is an Easter egger. The rest of her flock is the same age but she is insanely small and her body is their size but her legs are soooo short. She's super healthy and spunky just a little smaller at 9 weeks still. I think she may be a dwarf.

I’ve got some runts in my flocks. Came from smaller eggs, and the hens aren’t huge, either.

I’m not sure if this is related, but I have noticed with a couple chicks that they were getting a pasty butt, so I’m having to check everyday to make sure it’s not getting bad again. Those have been the smallest runts I had.
We've had a bit of the pasty butt all over but my wife has stayed on top of it for the most part. Hoping it's just a runt but it seems like a case of wait and see.

I have one like this now at 3 weeks she is finally just starting to get a lil bigger she is tiny compared to the rest but she holds her own and is thriving I noticed over this week she actually got bigger all of a sudden but I thought she was gonna get mowed over cause the others would run right over her but now she flys up on roost and is fine

Wish I could help. I have the same thing from chicks I hatched. One is half the size of most of the others. Even it's "siblings" from the same hen that laid the eggs it is much smaller. No clue why. Mine are 4.5 weeks. Mine also stands around a lot and calls for the others as they are running around. Here is it next to one of the bigger ones it hatched with and also one next to a sibling.

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_160736839.jpg
    IMG_20230510_160736839.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20230510_160813950.jpg
    IMG_20230510_160813950.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 54

Back
Top Bottom