Silkie chick tiny compared to others

loyalcrowlist

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
I have a silkie chick, Harlow, that is much smaller than all the others. They hatched at the same time (March 25-26) and they're doing great, overall. They eat a lot and their crop is full when I check at night. They're very friendly and love to cuddle. But the fact they're so small compared to the others does worry me. They're about half the size of the other silkies and my BYM chicks that are the same age are about four to five times bigger.

Is there possibly something wrong with them? Or is there something I should be doing differently? They're not getting picked on at all but I've never seen a chick this tiny before. I added some pictures of them and another silkie chick, taken today.

Attachments

• IMG_20230419_200928.jpg
    IMG_20230419_200928.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20230419_201031.jpg
    IMG_20230419_201031.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230419_201122.jpg
    IMG_20230419_201122.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 18
This is my first time hatching and raising silkies so this could be something very normal that I'm just unaware of!

Hello! I’m not exactly sure, but I just saw a thread a few weeks ago posted by someone who had the same problem! They named their silkie Tiny, but they said that she was super friendly and still acted normal, but was just smaller than her siblings. Let me see if I can find it for you…

I was able to find the thread, and you may want to check it out to see if anyone has the answers you’re looking for. In the “search” section, look up TINY “DWARF” SILKIE!. This thread was posted by Debbie Holcomb. Sorry I can’t help you any more than that, this isn’t an issue I’ve dealt with before! Hope you’re able to get some information and answers to help your baby! Best of luck! :) :fl

I was able to find the thread, and you may want to check it out to see if anyone has the answers you’re looking for. In the “search” section, look up TINY “DWARF” SILKIE!. This thread was posted by Debbie Holcomb. Sorry I can’t help you any more than that, this isn’t an issue I’ve dealt with before! Hope you’re able to get some information and answers to help your baby! Best of luck! :) :fl
Thank you so much!! That'll help me out a lot.

Thank you so much!! That'll help me out a lot.
I just hatched a mini it's half the size of the other silkie and it's head is tiny. I am keeping them separate as the bigger one is trampling the wee one. The Lil one has splayed leg as well. Tried to bandage bit ot keeps coming off. And the baby falls over. So the teacup became a problem to as she just hops out and falls on her back or face. The mini mason jar worked but ahe just kept crying to get out. Put her back in the Incubator alone w face cloths for a nest and under for warmth and traction. I bought a syringe to feed as it won't eat. Very stressful for me. I keep praying it will all be OK. So worried.

Attachments

• 20231007_073001.jpg
    20231007_073001.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom