One Chick not Doing Well *new symptom, plz help!*

FiveInOurFlock

Chirping
Mar 1, 2018
I posted this in the baby Chick forum but it didn't get any responses yet so I thought this thread may be more appropriate

We brought home 5 new chicks last weekend, one of the 5 doesn't seem to be doing well. She spends a lot of time with her eyes closed, standing by herself. She is not as active as the others. I noticed runny poop numerous times and thought it might be coccidiosis, so I started them on Corid today, but realized the starter feed my daughter picked up is already medicated, so if that is the problem is that overkill? Any other ideas what might be going on or how I can help her? I don't want to lose her 😭. When we bought them we were told they were "about" a week old. Her wings are feathering but she is smaller and less active than the rest. She is still eating and drinking but not very enthusiastically. Please help!

Last edited:
I also came home today and found her lying in the feeder, she seemed to have gotten jammed in there and then couldn't get up. I've since noticed that sometimes when she gets knocked over and trampled by the others she will end up laying down on one side and doesn't seem to be able to get up on her own. When I give her a little push she can get up with help and stand, but definitely seems weaker than the others. Any idea what might be afflicting her?? I'm just so worried 🥺

I tried to separate her yesterday she got so upset she wouldn't stop chirping 😟. the others seemed upset too, so I put her back and she quieted down immediately. I will post pics in the morning, thank you!

If you have any chicken wire, trellis, Tupperware you can possibly keep her in the brooder so she can see them, but still safe and separated. If she does have a toe or leg problem then the sooner you can splint the better. I hope she heals quickly!

Thank you for all of the replies, I'm sad to say our sweet little Daisy didn't make it and passed away last night 😭😭😭

I really appreciate everybody taking the time to reply with advice and well wishes

Back
Top Bottom