One Chick!

Gulfstream

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Well I had one of my Swedish Blues go broody some time ago. I have had one egg explosion...YUCK! I have removed 5 eggs that were newly layed. She is sitting on at least ten if not more eggs....I think we have both lost count. I have candled & candled & candled and gave up on that. Finally this morning she went off for a drink and a primp and I went in to check if any eggs were bad. Put one aside....picked up new ones...thought I saw movement...nah...moved some around...saw movement....picked up the one I set aside and HEARD peeps! Sure enough....one little boo-boo! Mom and baby bonding. I sooo do not want to raise more babies. Think I will leave this to her. What food do i need to get it and do I need it today?

Quote:
Either chick starter or grower feed will work for both mom and babies. The babies can go up to 3 days on the reserves of the yolk they absorb in the last few hours before hatching so if you really can't get the feed today, it can wait until tomorrow. However I've found that even though they *can* go some time after hatch without eating, if offered food immediately, they are always willing to give it a go so - the sooner you can get some feed, if you don't have it already, the better. And congrats!

Back
Top Bottom