One chick

disneytvl

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
At my daughter's school the first grade class incubates and hatches chicks as part of their science curriculum. They get 24 eggs and generally bring the chicks to the farm the eggs came from - this time only one of the 24 hatched, and with the farm 3 hours away, we're looking for a local residence for the little chick. We are currently it's foster home.

My question is, since we're getting attached, is it ok to have just one chick? Obviously, it would probably do better with friends, but will he be ok as the only chick in the house? Is there anything I should do to help him not be lonely?

I have zero experience with chickens, so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

go to freecycle and give it away as a "pet only home' or find a a petting farm that would take it.
Maybe somebody here would take it. But we need the area where you are located. Id take it if you are close enough.

They are better in a flock of at least 3. You could get more or find someone local that would take it.
What state are you in?

Sorry, I'm in Eastern Massachusetts, just outside Boston. I'm actively looking for a farm or family with chicks for it to go too, but it's just so darn cute!

You could post it here under the buy,sell, trade section and I bet someone would get it from you.

How old is it??
Can you post a pic??

It sounds to me like there is only one solution for your 'problem'. You must get at least two more chicks very quickly! Then, you have your little flock and can really enjoy life with chickens.
big_smile.png

Actually it may be hard to find chicks close to the same age. You could put out a "wanted" ad on Craigslist or at your local feed store to see if someone in your area has an extra chick or two near the same age that you could adopt. Getting chicks too much older might be a problem with pecking issues.

If you can't keep this one then you really do need to find someone else that has multiple chicks that it can be a 'family' with.

Good luck. Hope to see you here for a long time getting information on your growing flock!
wink.png

Another question, this time a strange one, can the little chick make friends with our guinea pigs? Could they all bond? We have two female guinea pigs in a very large cage, that matches the description of a good chick cage - strange idea I know, but if they could keep the little one company while I find her a home, I wouldn't feel so badly for the chicky all alone.

I dont know that I would mix them, they may try and kill her. She could just have her own seperate area maybe with a few of their toys or bird toys to keep her busy.

What town are in you in?
I am down that way often maybe I could take her if you dont want to keep her.

Back
Top Bottom