One chicken gone, will the other be ok?

GabeStalker

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 15, 2013
So I got my two gold and silver laced wyandottes about a year ago as baby's. They've been together since day one and have always got along great. The other day the silver laced died so now i only have the gold laced. I'm worried about the gold laced being alone/sad.
I don't know if i should get more chickens so she has company or just leave her and let her be. I've read that wyandottes can be pretty aggressive so i'm hesitant on bringing new chickens around. Especially baby chicks.

Thanks in advance.

If you live where it gets cold in winter, at least get one more for body heat -
ideally 2 - look for pullet size or close to same age/size

birds of a feather flock together
good luck

I would probably try to get a hen (or two) about the same age, or at least fully grown. You need to be careful that the hens are healthy and free of disease though, so be picky about where they come from. I will rehome chickens to people looking for some every year, just to make more room if I have hatched new chicks. Just don't get some from a swap or place that has chickens that are sick or kept in dirty surroundings. Chickens really need to be a part of a flock.

If you live where it gets cold in winter, at least get one more for body heat -
ideally 2 - look for pullet size or close to same age/size

birds of a feather flock together
good luck

I would probably try to get a hen (or two) about the same age, or at least fully grown. You need to be careful that the hens are healthy and free of disease though, so be picky about where they come from. I will rehome chickens to people looking for some every year, just to make more room if I have hatched new chicks. Just don't get some from a swap or place that has chickens that are sick or kept in dirty surroundings. Chickens really need to be a part of a flock.

Thank you both for the quick replies. I will look into getting a few more chickens of the same age/size. My only concern is what if they don't get along?

Back
Top Bottom