One chicken left after skunk killed 2; do flock intro rules apply?

sacchicken931

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Sacramento
I had 3 chickens yesterday. Now I have 2 (pretty sure it was a skunk). Question is when I raise new babies and introduce them to the one hen do I still need to go through the flock introduction precautions or do I not have to worry about this because it's just one chicken that I'm introducing 3 younglings to?

Is there a problem with my question? I'm not seeing any replies. I have one hen left after a predator attack and I'm wondering if I can introduce 4 week old chicks to the coop with the one adult hen wtihout having to setup a separate run. Thank you,

Since no one has answered so far, I'll try the best I can. I've never introduced chicks that young to an adult hen without a mama hen around, or a wire cage.
I think since the hen is so much bigger than the chicks, the best thing would be to get some deer netting, hardware cloth, whatever, and put up a barrier between them for a couple days so they can fully see each other but the hen can't chase & peck. Unless she's a foul-tempered hen, she should get along with them after a bit, with some initial pecking. What breed is your hen and what breeds are the chicks? Can they run fast or fly, or are they Silkies, or what?

Sacramento, your situation is relatively uncommon, so there might be a limited number of people on who can address it from personal experience. But I would follow the logical advice of the poster before me. Watch for any aggressive tendencies from the older bird.

The adult hen is a gold sex link; the 3 babies are barred rocks; I like the suggestion from SW pennsylvania about putting a barrier between them for a few days. thank you

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, definitely a barrier. Chickens are very visual, and getting used to new individuals by eye rather than shoulder to shoulder (and perceived competition for food & roost space) is better than just throwing them together.

Back
Top Bottom