One chicken left

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by janet2802, Jan 24, 2010.

1. janet2802

janet2802 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    I lost a rooster and seven hens yesterday to a neighbor dog. I have one hen left that survived with not a scratch on her. What a horrible thing to come home from errands seeing my "babies" dead. I found five of the birds and have not found the other two yet. My question is with my one hen left, it's too early for chicks to come in so what to do with her. She is "talking" a lot and I feel bad for her all alone. My neighbors have chickens and they have offered to take her for me. Is this a good idea? How should we introduce her to my neighbor's flock? I don't feel right her being all alone.[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I would find her a mate soon. Don't give up your hen. I know I wouldn't. Just spend a lot of time with her and cuddle with her. Also are those the same neighbors that their dog killed you chickens? Are they the same people?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. janet2802

janet2802 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Elizabeth, Colorado
    Thanks for the advice. So get another chicken right away? Full grown or chicks?

And no, different neighbors. The neighbors with their own flock don't like the neighbors with the dog either. Apparently, the dog has been to their house as well and has hurt some of their chickens.

4. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Good question!!

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I hate to give false hope, but it is possible that your other two birds are around and will come back. After 3 days, you can probably be sure they are gone. It would be strange for the dog to kill 5 in the yard, but drag two away somewhere. They probably went deep into cover. It's a long shot, but I've heard stories of hens being gone for awhile and coming back.

You could "foster" your hen with the neighbors. Then when you pick up some new birds, get her back. If you raise a whole new batch of chicks, and try and introduce one hen, it might be dicey. But, it would not be as hard as introducing a rooster, I would think. She might be excluded from the inside clique. Probably, it would be better to raise a few extra chicks, then swap a few chicks for your hen and one or two of the neighbors hens she gets along with.

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I would get full grown hens. But I would only get one for now because if you buy like 2 hens they could pick on your last remaining hen. Also what did the neighbor say about his dog killing your chickens?

7. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Perhaps the "good neighbors" would give/loan/sell you one of their birds so that yours is not alone.
    What happened that your birds were vulnerable to this horrible attack?

I had a couple dogs attack my birds back in October. I was home and outside, I just happened to be on the opposite side of my house as to where the chickens are. I let them out to free range as I often have done when I am home. My wife came running and screaming that there was two dogs in the run attacking the chickens! I saw a dog with a bird in its mouth. Chased the dog he dropped the bird I was able to save that bird but lost one other in the event of things.

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Quote:I think that is the best idea. So sorry to hear that sad story again. If it was me, I would not want to part with the last hen. Or give up hope that the "lost" two may show up. If you can get her one companion, you can keep her company until spring when you can start with some chicks. Or if you decide to integrate with the others, things should go better with two hens. It would also protect their flock from any disease problems.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd bet if you looked on Craigs list you could find some hens local for sale.

Also, how will you deter the dog in the future?

10. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    for now if you have a closer place near your home, not as far as your chook coop bring in closer in cas ea nother dog attacks....
    Oh and yes there is hope your other 2 chooks are alive because when dogs attacked our place 2 hens hid behind a thick bush for a while intil it was safe for them to go back to the coop
    DON'T, LOOSE, HOPE.
    Oh and if your neighbor could lend you a chicken to put with your chicken intil you get more take it because i dont like it when there is a lonely chicken... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by