One chicken smaller than the rest

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3 Chicks, Sep 30, 2012.

1. 3 Chicks

3 Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    Hello!

I hope I am posting in the right forum...I have 2 chickens born the same day; about 18 weeks old. One got fowl pox and was sick around 12 weeks old. She is not catching up with growth like her sister or other chickens her age. Once a chicken has stunted growth is there any hope for her? Is there anything else it could be? She acts normally.

Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Have you tried adding extra vitamin supplements?

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    A vitamin+mineral supplement as Kevin suggested and some high protein treats like mealworms and scrambled eggs should help. Also feed her some fresh greens like spinach if you can get hold of some. I had a chick with a broken beak a few months ago. She was way behind her siblings in growth, but after boosting her diet like I described above she caught up and is now the same size as her sisters.

4. 3 Chicks

3 Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    I was giving her vitamin supliments when she was sick. But I will start back up. I have tried to give her spinach but she won't eat it (I have the pickiest chickens on Earth!). I will try giving her some scrambled eggs...all to herself. Glad to know there's hope for her growth. Thanks for the responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by