One Completely Lame Chicken, One with Compound Fractured Wing

LindsayB86

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
Hello all, I am having some serious issues with my chickens and am hoping someone here will have some ideas and/or advice. I have (had) 2 Bantam Cochin chickens (almost 2 yrs old) that are raising chicks for me in a coop and run separate from my larger birds. There is no rooster with the Bantams and chicks. Last weekend, one of the Bantam hens was fluffed up and couldn't extend her neck. It isn't twisted, but her head is just tucked in and she won't allow me to extend her neck either. She was a little off balance, but that has progressed to the point that she is unable to walk without falling forward or sideways. Now, she lies in one spot with legs splayed backwards and one or both wings out. She will eat and drink with assistance or if we set it just under her beak. The stool in the run all seems normal with the exception of one dark pile. No respiratory signs, no ocular or nasal discharge. She doesn't feel abnormally warm or cold to the touch. Crop feels empty. No foul odor to her breath. No egg palpable, vent clean. No mites/lice present. The chicks she hatched are about 6 weeks old, and I have been feeding them all Starter and Scratch grain, along with kitchen scraps and greens. I started adding a top dressing vitamin supplement to the food last weekend, as I read on a few forums that I could be dealing with a B or E deficiency. I have not brought in any new birds, nor have I visited anyone with chickens. No other birds in my flock have any symptoms, but yesterday we found the other adult bantam dead in the coop out of nowhere. She was acting completely normal the day before. I am extremely concerned about Marek's Disease, but am praying that isn't the issue here. At the advice of a friend, I have her separated and inside, attempting nursing care. I have given her layer pellets, scrambled egg and a little gatorade until I can go pick up some proper electrolytes. I also started her on a B complex supplement today. In addition to this mysterious illness with the Bantams, last night we discovered my 1.5 yr old Buff Orpington has a compound fracture of the wing. I believe it was caused by the RIR rooster, who has been relentless with this particular hen the last few weeks. It was originally my intention to move her to the other coop this weekend, but now she is also inside in a large dog kennel. The fracture and wound look to be at least a week old. I cleaned it last night, applied Silvadene and wrapped/stabilized it. My main concern (other than infection and necrotic tissue) is whether it is possible for the skin to heal over the exposed bone. We have considered euthanasia for both birds, but I want to give them a chance if it is reasonable. I have only been keeping chickens for a little over a year and this is my first experience with illness and an injury of this severity. Of course they would have to occur simultaneously. I do have over 15 years experience in the veterinary field, just not with avian medicine. I have added a photo of the lame hen and the broken wing of the other bird. Sorry for the graphic photos
20200621_164427.jpg
20200621_164619.jpg
20200621_214201.jpg
20200621_214134.jpg
. Thank you in advance to those who make it through this novel. Any input on either situation would be much appreciated!

Getting a necropsy by your state vet is the best way to rule out Mareks disease. The lame hen has the position of some chickens with Mareks from photos I have seen. Sorry about your hen with the wing fracture. It sounds like you are caring for the wound. Chlorhexidene is very good for wound treatment along with applying plain Neosporin twice daily. When bone is exposed, vet care for proper antibiotics, such as clindamycin or others, would be best. Here is a list of state vets where you can get a neceopsy and testing:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Getting a necropsy by your state vet is the best way to rule out Mareks disease. The lame hen has the position of some chickens with Mareks from photos I have seen. Sorry about your hen with the wing fracture. It sounds like you are caring for the wound. Chlorhexidene is very good for wound treatment along with applying plain Neosporin twice daily. When bone is exposed, vet care for proper antibiotics, such as clindamycin or others, would be best. Here is a list of state vets where you can get a neceopsy and testing:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Thank you so much. Now that I have her separated from the flock, do you think it is reasonable to try nursing care with the possible Marek's case, in the event it could be nutritional? Then if she worsens or shows no improvement after a month or so, consider euthanasia and a necropsy? She is eating and drinking well and her stool is normal other than being a little on the dry side. I am using chlorhexidine to clean the wing, so that's good. I do have access to antibiotics but we don't have many avian vets nearby. Perhaps l can have one of the vets I worked with research a dosage for me. Thanks for the link. If I lose her we will definitely be doing a necrospy. The idea of having Marek's in my flock is terrifying.

I don’t see any reason not to try and treat her with vitamins and doctor her wing infection. Hopefully, it isn’t Mareks, but other chickens may try to attack a chicken that is showing signs of illness or lameness, and that could be why she was injured. There is a $20 blood serum pcr Mareks test that can be done on a live chicken by this lab:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

I don’t see any reason not to try and treat her with vitamins and doctor her wing infection. Hopefully, it isn’t Mareks, but other chickens may try to attack a chicken that is showing signs of illness or lameness, and that could be why she was injured. There is a $20 blood serum pcr Mareks test that can be done on a live chicken by this lab:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
Thanks again. I should have clarified better, but it is two different birds I'm dealing with. the Bantam is the possible Marek's case and a Buff Orpington has the broken wing. I will check out the test, that is something we could probably make happen and would give me a little peace of mind concerning the rest of my flock if she is negative.

Back
Top Bottom