one confused hen.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hennotrooster, Sep 16, 2012.

1. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Hello,
    New to the site and not sure yet how it works. We lost our rooster 2 wks. ago, the hen that was closest to him is now mounting our younger hens this started 2 days ago. The (Sussex) older hens (2) are 1 yr. 3 mos. the younger hens (4) are 7 mos. and are a road island red/ buff orpington mix. One of the reds has laid one egg since March and the other (the one that is trying to replace our rooster) has recently stopped. Is this normal chicken behavior? The 2 reds are very hateful and would rather spend their time beating up on the other 4. Please help. Thank you in advance Shirley.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. This is very common when a rooster is removed from the flock. She's now decided to take his place as the flock protector. If you get another roo this behavior should stop.

3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

x2 on kevin's advice

4. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello, Welcome to BYC and ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, hennotrooster, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! I concur with the advice given by Kevin565. Best of luck to you!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

It should not be hard to find another rooster - everyone seems to have extras

9. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    Thank you all for the wonderful welcome and the advice.

Now if we choose not to have another rooster will she just continue this behavior and is this causing her not to lay? She is very very aggressive with my little ones more so with Speckles, as she is the one that will follow me and even ask to be picked up, she will peck our shoes till we do, or she will come sit with me when I sit in their yard to watch them. This is the most soothing thing to do.

My doctor asked me if I was depressed and I told him "Nope I have chickens." They are funny to watch and sometimes like now frustrating as we are still learning. We are never sure if we feed them enough or right as they seem to be starved all the time. I have some friends that had chickens when they were younger (now 76-86 year old friends) say they never seen chickens act as crazy as ours do. The rooster would bring the girls to the front door (before their yard was enclosed) and he would crow or peck at the door (knock) if dinner was later than normal.

Thank you again and we will consider another roo. Love all the pictures you have of your animals.

Loving life in the Hesperia CA

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from Modesto!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by