1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

One Cornish X chick died

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by emsevers, Mar 7, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I just got my meat birds last Thursday. They've been doing really well but my DH found one dead today. I think I've done everything right. They have heat food and water. Is there something that I should be doing that's different with these birds. I've never lost a chick before so I'm a little concerned.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    These guys have a higher mortality rate b/c of there fast growth. As long as the others are ok I wouldn't worry too much about it.

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Gee....wish I knew. I lost one last year a few minutes after shipping.

Keepin' you bumped up.

4. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    It happens. I lost a couple as well. They seem to be fine then they are gone. Watch them for pilling up on each other, especially in corners. They can suffocate each other pretty quick.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't worry. Usually I lose about 10% of my birds. Dying is the only thing meat birds are good at.

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesn't matter whether you are dealing with meat bred birds or layers, you WILL lose some. It is just the nature of chicks. Just look at how high the mortality rate is in Nature for birds.

Jim

7. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Thanks everyone. That makes me feel a lot better. The rest are doing fine so I'm hoping this is the only one. It's not a very fun experience to lose a chick.

8. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Atleast you knew that they were going to die before you bought them. That has to help doesnt it?

9. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Yeah,it's better than one of the chicks I was hoping to be a layer dying. I just don't like to see them die before their time.

10. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Welcome to life on a farm. Learning to accept losses is one of the lessons that is difficult for some to assimilate. Raising livestock is not perfect and the myriad challenges an animal faces is just too much for some, so we have deaths and sickness.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by