One day after tendon surgery- Pics

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
Here is "Crash" yesterday morning before his vet visit. He/she/it/whatever wasn't able to put his foot on the ground at all. It was stuck almost straight out to the side.

Chickens091.jpg

This was taken this morning, almost 24 hours after his surgery. He's able to put his foot on the ground but seems to be proping himself on his middle toe. His hock is still pretty swollen and we have to watch for pockets of blood, but all in all he looks MUCH better!
We don't want him getting trampled by his 8 brothers and sisters and his momma, so we have him in a seperate brooder with one friend.
dynotest002.jpg

I'll keep posting pictures as his leg heals!
wee.gif

It's amazing how tiny these little guys are and yet someone can do like micro surgery! Wow.
Hope the little peep heals quickly and is bouncing and trouncing with his family soon!
Keep us posted!

wow thats amazing, do you mind giving us a ball park estimate of what is costs for an operation like that on a chicken? Was he conscious during the procedure? This is really neat. Goodluck with him!

Quote:
They did it without knocking him out. What they did was cut his leg open at the hock, pulled the tendon over with stitches and stitched it back up. There are three stitches total. We have to pop any blood bumps (for lack of a better term) and move his leg up and down several times a day to help stretch the tendon back out. It's still painful for him and will be for a few days, but he's shown dramatic improvement! I am very pleased and glad we went for the surgery.
Believe it or not, the surgery and vet visit was a total of $55. We were thinking it would be more like $100-$150, so that was a pleasant surprise!
Thank you everyone for the support! I'll tell little Crash that you're all pulling for him!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom