One day I will size the Panic Door correctly

Doc7

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2018
Central Virginia
This is my 4th year In a row of raising chicks from Day 1 of arrival (2-3 days old) in a fenced off portion of my coop with mama heat pad, and on my 4th year in a row my plan to open “Chick Panic Doors” for them to meet the hens in their own terms went out the window within less than 30 seconds of me opening the full size door and throwing down an enticing treat - the Austra White got through the chick door nearly instantly.

These 4 Week old chicks have now been “integrated” for 10 minutes and I am removing the interior coop hardware cloth separator and leaving them all on their own for the 3 day weekend. Another successful year of coop raising chicks with MHP. Raising them in full sight of the hens is the way to go. Overnight lows are 60+ for the next week so I’ve removed the heat as well. Did I mention I love the MHP method?

B6868034-1448-4E97-85E4-F2A580D99C93.jpeg
425F5D11-FA4A-4E6D-B7B4-CF2DEBEBCA43.jpeg
FAD49191-C4A5-4177-B27B-491F35BACA80.jpeg
6111D338-27D3-4E62-A99F-F1532C4EF895.jpeg

my plan to open “Chick Panic Doors” for them to meet the hens in their own terms went out the window within less than 30 seconds of me opening the full size door and throwing down an enticing treat - the Austra White got through the chick door nearly instantly.
First time I integrated chicks my head hen showed me I was being too generous with the chick door, as she pushed herself and her wide-load rear end through the chick door/panic opening and into the brooder to get at the chick feed.

I now know that a chicken that's 12" wide with feathers is actually about 4" wide under the feathers. :) And my chick doors are now about the size of a brick.

First time I integrated chicks my head hen showed me I was being too generous with the chick door, as she pushed herself and her wide-load rear end through the chick door/panic opening and into the brooder to get at the chick feed.

I now know that a chicken that's 12" wide with feathers is actually about 4" wide under the feathers. :) And my chick doors are now about the size of a brick.
That sounds awfully familiar, my head hen and her ample rear end popped through my first attempt as well!

Funny, I just now am having a problem with my portals being breached by Buttercups! Damn those Buttercups being so slender and fast and sly. I'll get a photo of the way I made the portals narrower FAST yesterday when the Buttercups were chasing the chicks out of their refuge and eating all their food. Just need time to wake up.

My openings are 4 1/2 inches wide. I needed to reduce it by half an inch, so I found these metal "thingies" and screwed them to the sides to reduce the width. It worked. Those wicked Buttercups can't get through them now.View attachment 3128298
You just get cleverer and cleverer! You’ve had to get cleverer to keep up with those two characters! :lau :lau I’m so grateful to you for the idea of the portal doors in the first place…..and now if I ever need to thwart a brooder intruder, I’ll steal your solution with no shame.

Funny, I just now am having a problem with my portals being breached by Buttercups! Damn those Buttercups being so slender and fast and sly.
That doesn't surprise me. Next time I get chicks, I'm pretty sure my Buttercup will walk right in to the brooder, she's so narrow and always trying to get into/on top of things.

My 5th year I have never kept them in after 2 weeks and always used mama heating pad. If I hadn’t found mama heating pad I never would have started raising my own chicks as I was scared of heat lamps as we have had a 3 different friends lose their entire barn and one almost their houses to heat lamps. I add them about 2 weeks old only because it’s easier for me to hand tame them in the house brooder. Last year I splurged on a sweeter heater just because it’s easier with a large number of chicks and easier to keep clean.
This lady was mad at me for putting intruders in HER corner of the coop she lays in. She still goes in there and lays but doesn’t mess with the chicks. My flock really don’t pay much attention to the chicks and after a day or two the chicks are out and about with them. I put the gate up to deter them from eating the chicks food and so the chicks can eat. A couple go in and check out their feeder but since it has the same thing it as theirs I guess it’s just easier to eat their own.
089A70B2-61DD-4756-BB96-8ACE3494129F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom