One dead chicken another looking not well

egglette

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 18, 2013
Hello all! So trying to prepare for the end of the world…lol and got myself some chickens. I’ve been out of the game awhile but I have a large family and I need some food sustainability. After a lot of work and money I have my flock. About a week and a half ago I noticed my oldest bird (still not laying but bought her as a pullet) started looking saggy. Not moving around as excitedly and not rushing to morning breakfast. She progressed into hanging her head down and not eating at all. I separated and tried feeding and watering her by hand. She is not sneezing or showing any signs of the chicken flu or any other outward signs of illness. So anywho she passed. BRUTAL. Praying that was going to be the end of all that as everyone else looked fine. Today I noticed one of my banty Roos acting weird. Not rushing around, put him outside towards the feeder and he started feeding quite aggressively I would say. Then he did a weird side stare at me a few times and put his head to the ground. And then he seemly itches his head on the ground. Then he literally did a somersault on the ground. Stood back up looked at me all shady again and went back to eating. I am now separating him. I would like your advice please if any and also if you have an idea of an illness if you have any idea of Medicine I can get myself because no I can’t afford a vet. Gas is 2.01 a litre today and I have 10 kids. I want to do the very best for my birds but food for the table comes first. Also I live in Canada and I can’t access everything you guys in the USA can because it’s Canada and it’s basically communist here. Thanks guys so much for your help.

How many birds do you have? How old is the sick rooster? How old was the one that died? Did she exhibit any of the symptoms that the rooster is? Good job isolating him, I hope that whatever it is doesn't spread to the rest of the flock. Any pictures of the rooster?

How many birds do you have? How old is the sick rooster? How old was the one that died? Did she exhibit any of the symptoms that the rooster is? Good job isolating him, I hope that whatever it is doesn't spread to the rest of the flock. Any pictures of the rooster?
About 25. Ranging in age from 2-3 months. The speckled Sussex was the oldest at just over 4 months. She is the first that died. Roo hatched Feb 13. We have just let them outside for the first time about two weeks ago. They have a large coop. But with the avian thing going around wanted to wait and be as safe as possible. I am wondering if maybe they got into something in the run that I haven’t noticed that is maybe poisonous or something. Like a plant I mean, there isn’t any substances or anything. I don’t have a pic of him. My husband actually quickly relieved him this evening as he was looking really bad off. Just hanging his head and not moving. He didn’t want to take any more risk. After the female died we cleaned out the whole coop and laid fresh bedding. I didn’t wash everything down though maybe I should’ve. Ugh. Sorry back to your questions. The female ended up not wanting to eat or drink. She had greenish poop. This guy was still interested in eating today.

The way he was acting sounds like it was some sort of neurological disease. The hen was too young to have reproductive issues, but their diseases don't sound very similar. I'd keep a close eye on your flock, and if anyone else shows similar signs of a disease, separate them as soon as possible.

The way he was acting sounds like it was some sort of neurological disease. The hen was too young to have reproductive issues, but their diseases don't sound very similar. I'd keep a close eye on your flock, and if anyone else shows similar signs of a disease, separate them as soon as possible.
Ok I will do that 100%. Thank you!

What are you feeding including treats?
How much space?
Photos of housing, birds, poop may be helpful.

Just put them outside within the last 2 weeks. Can you collect some poop samples, take them to your vet to see if Coccidiosis is the issue?

I agree, some of the symptoms sound neurological. Any chance they ate something dead, moldy/moldy feet or scratched around where something was toxic (compost, spilled oil, fertilizer, weed killer, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom