one dead chicken

5chickfam

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
1 of our 5 chickens began limping last wednesday. looked for bumble foot, no swelling, sores, signs of infection. Looked healthy otherwise. then stopped walking on it. was still eating/laying. stopped laying sunday, died today. should I do anything for the remaining birds? should we discard eggs for a while? Also, (a little paranoid I know), my 4 year old son who gathers eggs suddenly spiked a fever. any relation?

I think it would help if you gave some more info - how old are your birds? How many do you have and did they possibly eat anything dangerous?

I'm not sure but I Think the only way you will be able to be sure what killed your hen is to get a necropsy done, if you haven't already disposed of the body.

We had 5 total, (now 4). they are one years old. 4 varieties, 2 white leghorns, one aracauna , I think one was a golden sex link (the one that died, light feathers, with brown, , brown eggs,) and I think the other was an orpington. (Im sorry, not really sure on the last couple.

We did dispose of body. I checked her out every day, no signs of any sores or infections. seemed healthy otherwise. but then just didn't move much, just in and out of coop. found her at the bottom of ramp/steps.

this is our first adventure with them. She was the nicest too.

Think she might have had some sort of internal problem. I would not worry at all, if the other birds are still healthy.

Your son is very very very unlikely to have caught anything from the chicken! Hope he gets better soon.

thank you,
Yes all other birds seem fine. And with my son, like i said, paranoid! However I don't think I can keep him away, he loves those guys.

The comic relief in this...when we were puttting them away after cleaning out coop, he said, "where's lightning? oh ya, still dead." and went on his way. sad, but funny.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom