One duck?

Ducklings100

Songster
May 18, 2020
So, my friend has one hooded merganser egg that has been incubating for a week and is looking really good. BUT she has no other ducks or animals to keep the duck company. Do you think that she needs a friend for him/her if it hatches?

So, my friend has one hooded merganser egg that has been incubating for a week and is looking really good. BUT she has no other ducks or animals to keep the duck company. Do you think that she needs a friend for him/her if it hatches?
Where did she get the egg?
Hooded Mergansers are one of the most difficult species of ducks to raise in captivity, most zoos don't even keep them because they're so tough. They're also protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, so if it's from the wild it's illegal to be in possession of.
For your original question though, absolutely it will need a friend if it has any hope of survival. It won't start eating unless there's another one with it to show it how.
And the friend can't be a domestic species, unless it's maybe a Call or something. Any other domestic duck would grow too quickly, and could end up hurting the duckling. I would look for another wild species of duck for it.

Okay, I have already let her known that it needs a friend. Hopefully she'll get it. Maybe a mallard? Not too sure where she got the egg...I think a seller online. Thanks for the really helpful info!
A Mallard would be the worse kind because of how aggressive they are.
It's not breeding season for Mergansers yet, so I can't believe someone would have had an egg for sale!
If she got it online, did she get a 3-186 form with it stating it was a captive bred bird?
You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Oh, dang. I am not sure what other wild ducks she could get for him then! I have no clue where she got it from....definitely not the wild though!
A wood duck duckling or something like that could work well. What kind of setup does she have for when they're adults?
Mergansers need constant flowing water and a special sea duck diet in order to thrive.

Okay, I have already let her known that it needs a friend. Hopefully she'll get it. Maybe a mallard? Not too sure where she got the egg...I think a seller online. Thanks for the really helpful info!

Oh, dang. I am not sure what other wild ducks she could get for him then! I have no clue where she got it from....definitely not the wild though!

Oh wow, I didn't know that about there food...It's not the best setup for adulthood.....just a cage...What is their diet? Where could she get a wood duckling?

Oh wow, I didn't know that about there food...It's not the best setup for adulthood.....just a cage...What is their diet? Where could she get a wood duckling?
Maybe she'd be better off to give him once he hatches to someone who has other wild ducks.
They're just really difficult to care for.
When they're ducklings they should be fed Mazuri Waterfowl starter, and it's very difficult to get them to start eating. She'll need live mealworms to encourage him to eat. Around 50% of Merganser ducklings fail to start eating and die. That's why they're so expensive to purchase usually, because a lot don't make it to adulthood.
When it's an adult it will need frequent feelings of live minnows, Mazuri sea duck diet, fresh and extremely clean flowing water 24/7, and a big enough pen that it could fly around in it. My pen is 36x48'. She wouldn't need one that big, but bigger is always better.
Where does your friend live about?
Well, breeding season for most wild type ducks isn't until May or June.
A call duck duckling could work, I think they lay earlier.

Thanks for all that information! It is VERY helpful. My friend's yard is really just like a small forest with a creek that always has flowing water, sometimes minnows and tadpoles, etc. She actually has live mealworms as pets right now so I'll see if she will consider the fact on using them! I did not know they were so difficult to care for! I'm going to try and pester her into getting him a friend once and if he hatches but I really don't know...I'll keep you updated though!

Back
Top Bottom