One egg older than the others

Farmer Brian

Songster
9 Years
Nov 28, 2012
I'll try to make it short. Have five hens and a rooster. I felt he was over breeding them so I separated him. Then, well after the eggs were no longer fertile, a hen went broody. I got 11 eggs from other coops from friends. Two mysteriously disappeared. Three hatched (one died at day two in freak accident).
Just before those hatched, another hen went broody. I was able to get four more "fertile" eggs and put under her. Meanwhile, I put Yellow Beak (roo) back into the coop. He got to work immediately. Around 10-12 days later, there was a fifth egg under hen #2. The first four eggs were all duds, I disposed of them today, a full five days over hatch date. I put six of Yellow Beak's hopeful offspring under her in place of the bad eggs. Leaving a 7-10 day incubated egg.
My questions are: if it hatches, will she continue to set the rest (2 weeks)? Do I immediately remove the chick so she continues to set? Can I place the chick with hen #1 with 3+ week old chicks (brooder pen)? OR, do I just dispose of the egg and start fresh?
I do not have an incubator.

I should have read other threads first. I think my questions were answered already. I'll just get rid of the egg, so not to confuse the hen. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom