One egg -- then nothing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeeTee, Oct 1, 2008.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Newbie question -- is it usual for a pullet to lay its first egg, then no more for a period of time?

I have 5 girls -- 2 RIR/Barred Rock crosses and 3 RIR/Delaware crosses. Last Friday (today is the following Wednesday) I went out at 6 a.m. as usual and found my first egg! Since then I have had nothing. By my count they were 22 weeks old last Friday when I found the first egg.

Now I realize they are still on the young side, but my expectation was that once I had the first egg that hen at least would be producing.

I should add that they are confined to a coop and fenced run, so they cannot be laying eggs anywhere else. They are fed layer crumbles, kitchen scraps, and of course fresh water.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

She was just playing with you. She wanted to see how you would react. [​IMG]

3. DeeTee

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Hee hee. I thought I reacted with appropriate fanfare! Maybe I was lacking in enthusiasm...

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Our chickens have a celebration after each egg. One keeps guard while they all wait and when the hen comes out they all run and the roo starts crowing. A big fuss over every single egg they lay. Too funny.

5. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    To answer your question, I had a similar experience. After the first egg appeared, I had to wait 4 days till the next one. New layers take a couple of weeks to get going. But once they do things smooth out.

6. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Good question! My black silkie laid her first egg about2 days ago and I've been waiting on another!

7. DeeTee

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Well, nine days after the first egg, the second appeared! It was small but perfectly formed, and laid in a nest box. It was also delicious.

Hopefully the chooks are gearing up! [​IMG]

8. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine seem to be taking a long time to get moving, as well. I have 10 hens and only 2 are laying, and only one lays consistantly. Five are 28 weeks and the other five are 26 weeks.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It could also be due to the time of year. As the daylight hours are less and less, chickens lay less. They need 12-14 hours of daylight to stay in 'egg lay' mode. Some folks put light on them to extend the day; I choose not to. I feel that's nature's way, and I don't to mess with their natural cycles. But, if you want the best chance at getting eggs regularly through fall & winter, the best thing to do is add a few hours of light in the morning, via a light in their coop. [​IMG]

10. DeeTee

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    Thanks Wynette. I do have a light in the coop, on a timer. I agree with you about letting nature take its course though. I think next year I will give them that break in the fall/winter. This year though, I want my eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by