One egg -- then nothing

DeeTee

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Desbarats, Ontario
Newbie question -- is it usual for a pullet to lay its first egg, then no more for a period of time?

I have 5 girls -- 2 RIR/Barred Rock crosses and 3 RIR/Delaware crosses. Last Friday (today is the following Wednesday) I went out at 6 a.m. as usual and found my first egg! Since then I have had nothing. By my count they were 22 weeks old last Friday when I found the first egg.

Now I realize they are still on the young side, but my expectation was that once I had the first egg that hen at least would be producing.

I should add that they are confined to a coop and fenced run, so they cannot be laying eggs anywhere else. They are fed layer crumbles, kitchen scraps, and of course fresh water.

She was just playing with you. She wanted to see how you would react.
gig.gif

Our chickens have a celebration after each egg. One keeps guard while they all wait and when the hen comes out they all run and the roo starts crowing. A big fuss over every single egg they lay. Too funny.

To answer your question, I had a similar experience. After the first egg appeared, I had to wait 4 days till the next one. New layers take a couple of weeks to get going. But once they do things smooth out.

Well, nine days after the first egg, the second appeared! It was small but perfectly formed, and laid in a nest box. It was also delicious.

Hopefully the chooks are gearing up!
smile.png

It could also be due to the time of year. As the daylight hours are less and less, chickens lay less. They need 12-14 hours of daylight to stay in 'egg lay' mode. Some folks put light on them to extend the day; I choose not to. I feel that's nature's way, and I don't to mess with their natural cycles. But, if you want the best chance at getting eggs regularly through fall & winter, the best thing to do is add a few hours of light in the morning, via a light in their coop.
smile.png

Thanks Wynette. I do have a light in the coop, on a timer. I agree with you about letting nature take its course though. I think next year I will give them that break in the fall/winter. This year though, I want my eggs!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom