One eye closed, one open?

OMG this must be the summer for one-eyed chickens because just this morning, as I was giving my flock a little treat, Belle, one of the two friendler hens we have was eating her treat out of my hand when I noticed she had one eye closed. It does not look bad, just closed. I watched her for about half an hour after that and she never opened it. What is "Tylan" and where can I get it? How is it administered? Should I start by using saline and waiting to see if maybe she just got sand it it or something? She is eating, pooping, laying and not lethargic or sick acting in any way... Did all the other ones in this thread recover from their eye issues??? Thanks so much!

OMG this must be the summer for one-eyed chickens because just this morning, as I was giving my flock a little treat, Belle, one of the two friendler hens we have was eating her treat out of my hand when I noticed she had one eye closed. It does not look bad, just closed. I watched her for about half an hour after that and she never opened it. What is "Tylan" and where can I get it? How is it administered? Should I start by using saline and waiting to see if maybe she just got sand it it or something? She is eating, pooping, laying and not lethargic or sick acting in any way... Did all the other ones in this thread recover from their eye issues??? Thanks so much!
Is there anyone out there who can answer my questions?

You may be able to find it at TSC. If not, search the poultry suppliers, I'm sure they have it. I've never used it but I see it recommended on this forum frequently. Good luck.

I am having this issue as well! I have a chicken who keeps one eye closed, and one open. She opens the eye occasionally, but it is closed most of the time. When she does open it, the eyeball appears to be normal looking. Her general behavior is normal; eating, drinking, walking around.

Is Tylan something I should use??

Thanks, I will watch her closely.

I had Buff Orphington do that a few months ago - my daughter brought her home all shaken up and screaming "OMG, there is something wrong with my chicken" but the chicken opened its eye a few minutes later and it was fine after that.

So this time, I wasn't too concerned about the eye. Except I noticed this chicken acted a little strange in the mornining - kind of tired, out of sorts - standing still, puffed up and not scratching as much as the others. Then she went to the coop and sat in the nesting box. I already gathered the eggs that day and didn't think she was due to lay again. And she didn't. Isn't wierd?
Did u ever find out what was wrong? Mine's doing that. She also had scruffy breathing & now her eye is a lil watery

I have a RIR hen who was just treated for possible CRD with Tylan 50 injections for 3 days ( treated the whole flock as one sick bird spread to 3 others ). On the 2nd day of the injections, I noticed that she kept her Left eye closed most of the day, she would open it periodically upon walking up to her, but other than that she left it closed. I picked her up and examined a little closer and I don't see anything that would be an obvious cause of this. Could it still be residual from the CRD and what else could I do to help her. Other than keeping the one eye closed she is acting normal now.

My girl has one eye closed and is acting tired. I wondered if she was just really tired, as it got quite hot today. How did things turn out for these chickies mentioned here? I want to help her.

Did u ever find out what was wrong? Mine's doing that. She also had scruffy breathing & now her eye is a lil watery
did anyone ever answer this. Mine's doing the same thing. Just started today. Will the tylan injection help. I really don't want to lose her. She's my baby and gives me an egg everyday. Will the egg still be editable?

Back
Top Bottom