One eye closed, one pecker in time out, and rice hulls?

Retrocop

Chirping
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Ok, got your attention. I'm brand new to chicks but I ordered 25 mixed layer pullet chicks from McMurray. They arrived alive, but three of one variety, look like polish with yellow topknot, have one eye closed all the time. Will this open later?
I have one little pecker I have had to isolate because every time I let him in with the others, he immediately begins hardcore pecking at the heads of others. Will he be okay isolated? And does this behavior go away after a while?
Thirdly, I used rice hulls for bedding. The chicks are constantly scratching and pecking at the rice hull. They do eat at the feeder with starter crumbles, but spend more time in the rice hulls. Is this a problem with rice hulls, or just chicken behavior?
Thanks in advance.

I had one chick that walked around with one eye closed for an hour or two, but aside from that, I've got no experience with that issue. Can they open that eye at all, or is it pasted shut? If it's stuck, I'd ask on the injuries/diseases forum about it.

As for the head pecking, chicks do it, my uneducated guess is that they go for the shiny eyes. If the little bugger isn't actually causing injury, I'd let the chicks sort it out. Eventually someone will get peeved enough at being pecked at and whup the pecker. It's how mine dealt with each other, peck, peck, peck, PEEP, scuffle, end pecking for a few minutes.

The scratching and pecking is chicken behavior. They scratch and peck constantly looking for food, even if they've got a feeder full. I don't know anything about rice hulls as bedding, so I can't tell you if that's a problem, but anything you put them on will be pecked at and anything they can reach they will try to eat.
smile.png

Hope this helps.

I appreciate your answers. Its possible my little pecker caused those one eyed chicks, he's attracted to them the most because of their bright yellow tophats I think. And he was in a box with them from Iowa to Texas in snail mail for three days. Yes their eyes appear pasted shut, not bloody or moist of all. I think I'll drop some "natural tears" drops on them.

I did try to put the little devil chick back with the others, but he was even more aggressive when released, and the others don't fight back. If I can stand watching it, I may try to give him another chance.

I separated a pecker for a week (giving plenty of attention) and she stopped when she returned. As far as the eye problem, I had one with the same eye problem and it was because she was pecked in the eye by the pecker. It stayed closed for about 4-5 days and them it was fine after that.

I've got the same problem with one of mine - he cocks his little head and goes straight for the eyes of the others. None of the rest do that. I've had him (I'm assuming it's a him...) in time-out since the day they arrived (five days ago). As far as I can tell, there is no damage to the eyes of any other chicks.

An interesting note - one of the other chicks was also acting this way for a day. I put it in with the troublemaker, but just for one day. It now seems to be okay, and it wasn't injured by its time with the troublemaker. But they were both in the box that the chicks were mailed in, and possibly because it is darker in there, there wasn't the fascination with the shiny eyes.

I had problems with a chick that would peck the eyes of others. I tried separating her for a day, and that didn't work, so I tried a week. She still went straight for the eyes of the others chicks within a minute of putting her back in with the rest. She was very cruel about it. It wasn't just a little peck, she would grab the bottom of their eyelids and the poor little things would scream. I felt so bad for them. I never could get her to stop so she is permanently by herself. She's a mean little thing. She will try to peck human eyes too if you aren't careful.

Little update on my chicks. The one eyes all have both eyes open now, and seem fine. They are five days old. Obviously a birth holdover. The little demon pecker has been isolated, and everytime I put her back with the others, she's at it again, very aggressively. I put one in with her, and she looked like she was trying to kill it. She's going to get lonely. Though she does eat and drink, etc. and appears healthy. I may have to give her away when she gets older if she doesn't shape up.
Thanks for all the help.
As a side note, I saw a schedule for brooder temperature for the chicks over the first few weeks. It started at 95 degrees and went down progressively to 70 degrees.I laughed out loud. I live in south Texas. Unless I get them air conditioning, these chicks will live in 110 to possibly 85 degree temps IF they're lucky, their entire lives. It never gets under 78 degrees inside our home during the spring/summer/fall with air conditioning. Someone has a great sense of humor.

One note on rice hulls as bedding. When they scratch in it, the stuff flies everywhere, especially into the water and feeder. If I had a do over, I'd try straw,

Last edited:
Your chick sounds a lot like my mean one. I don't think I will ever let her in with the others. I don't trust her. I'm afraid if I put her out with the others some night that I will go out in the morning to find dead chickens! I'm not going to take the chance. It took a little while for her to adjust to being by herself, but she is okay now. I'm not sure what we will end up doing with her. I was going to give her away, but my boyfriend likes her and wants to keep her. He named her Susie Q.

As far as bedding, I don't think it matters what you use. The little chicks can make a mess of anything!

Do you know anything about de-beaking? Just the tip of course. I wonder if that would solve anything. Even if she still pecked, she couldn't hurt them as much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom