2 week silkies - crusted eye, swaying head? SOS

Okay thanks so much! I change it every day, or other day (depending on how dirty it is) sometimes I’ll put a fresh paper towel under the brooder plate multiple times a day just so their most frequented area is super clean. I’m using fresh flakes, but is there something else that’s less dusty, and more ideal? I see some people maybe using something like a sand? Is that worse than what I’m already using?
There are quite a few ideas if you scroll some threads on some of the forums. Something I recently saw that I wanted to try were stall mats, and they put clumps of dirt snd grass in there to begin to introduce bacteria. I know something that id common are the potty pads youd use with a dog.

I use sand in my coop in the summer, and considered it in a brooder, but didn't look too much into potential negatives for a brooder.

I wish I could attach a video here but it looks like when you spin around a bunch and then try to walk in a straight line is the best I can explain it! Like vertigo! It’s so odd. And intermittent?? Which makes it even more odd. The eye has gotten so much worse :( I just rinsed with warm water and saline again. The eye ointment was supposed to be delivered today but it’s not here yet. I hope that helps a lot once I can apply it..but here’s where I’m at…it’s SO swollen. I can separate the eyelids and its eye is fine underneath. I can’t seem to locate any cuts, no blood. It’s def congested. It squeaks every now and then like its nose is runny. I feel so bad for it View attachment 3502133
I have an eye-dea 😂. That poor little baby.

I am not super familiar with it, but the symptoms do line up with Coryza, which is a respiratory disease. My only concern with suggesting it, is I am not sure I remember hearing about it in chicks.

Here is a thread. I'll tag @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive and @azygous as well. I wouldnt do any kind of treatment per this thread until one of them comments.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...a-and-chickens-its-like-a-severe-cold.668326/

I am not super familiar with it, but the symptoms do line up with Coryza, which is a respiratory disease. My only concern with suggesting it, is I am not sure I remember hearing about it in chicks.

Here is a thread. I'll tag @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive and @azygous as well. I wouldnt do any kind of treatment per this thread until one of them comments.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...a-and-chickens-its-like-a-severe-cold.668326/
I just read the whole thing and more. At one point in there, eggcessive says it is unlikely for a chick to have it because they have to come in contact with sn infected bird. Do you have other chickens somewhere that may have had some cross contamination while handling? I'm sure you answered this previously.

Id start by separating her from the rest immediately.

Does she have a bad odor coming from her if you sniff her head?

I wish I could attach a video here but it looks like when you spin around a bunch and then try to walk in a straight line is the best I can explain it! Like vertigo! It’s so odd. And intermittent?? Which makes it even more odd. The eye has gotten so much worse :( I just rinsed with warm water and saline again. The eye ointment was supposed to be delivered today but it’s not here yet. I hope that helps a lot once I can apply it..but here’s where I’m at…it’s SO swollen.
Use saline to rinse the eye.
Press or remove any pus and apply an eye ointment in the eye or you can use original neosporin. The eye needs to be tended to at least a couple of times a day.

Get her on vitamins. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg for the uptake of E. Spinning in circles like vertigo is a neurological symptom. Silkies have a hole in their skull and seem to be more susceptible to these issues.

Infectious Coryza causes a lot of swelling of the eyes and has a very rotten foul odor. Usually, the bird also exhibits respiratory symptoms as well, mucous, coughing, sneezing, etc. It's a contagious disease, so it's broodmates would also be starting to show signs of illness.

Press or remove any pus and apply an eye ointment in the eye or you can use original neosporin. The eye needs to be tended to at least a couple of times a day.

Get her on vitamins. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg for the uptake of E. Spinning in circles like vertigo is a neurological symptom. Silkies have a hole in their skull and seem to be more susceptible to these issues.

Infectious Coryza causes a lot of swelling of the eyes and has a very rotten foul odor. Usually, the bird also exhibits respiratory symptoms as well, mucous, coughing, sneezing, etc. It's a contagious disease, so it's broodmates would also be starting to show signs of illness.
Thank goodness. Thank you @Wyorp Rock

OP did mention in the sneezing with discharge in the original post I believe. Should have looked prior to starting this.

Infectious Coryza causes a lot of swelling of the eyes and has a very rotten foul odor. Usually, the bird also exhibits respiratory symptoms as well, mucous, coughing, sneezing, etc. It's a contagious disease, so its broodmates would also be starting to show signs of illness.
NO sneezing in the original post, but congested. Last update mentions sneezing.

Okay so I did browse a few threads that I thought maybe I could scour for some help but I actually DONT think it’s that! Because there’s no smell that I can notice (and apparently it’s hard to miss) I have a very sensitive nose so I feel like I’d notice immediately? The eye is definitely swollen, or rather- the eyelid, and there’s no puss really, just clear crust, and then I clear/clean it off and it’s able to open it, albeit not very easily but it can see out of it at least…let me see if I can upload a video so you guys can tell me if it’s sneezing or sniffling or whatever the sound is (I honestly can’t tell the diff)

Okay so I did browse a few threads that I thought maybe I could scour for some help but I actually DONT think it’s that! Because there’s no smell that I can notice (and apparently it’s hard to miss) I have a very sensitive nose so I feel like I’d notice immediately? The eye is definitely swollen, or rather- the eyelid, and there’s no puss really, just clear crust, and then I clear/clean it off and it’s able to open it, albeit not very easily but it can see out of it at least…let me see if I can upload a video so you guys can tell me if it’s sneezing or sniffling or whatever the sound is (I honestly can’t tell the diff)
This is good

If start right away on W.Rocks suggestions. And if she were mine, I'd still quarantine out of precaution

I just read the whole thing and more. At one point in there, eggcessive says it is unlikely for a chick to have it because they have to come in contact with sn infected bird. Do you have other chickens somewhere that may have had some cross contamination while handling? I'm sure you answered this previously.

Id start by separating her from the rest immediately.

Does she have a bad odor coming from her if you sniff her head?
No odor and nope these are my only chickens! I got them all from ideal, all came together, and were all healthy and fine until the black one had the crusty eye 2 days ago. I can separate her but I think I’ll need to buy another heat lamp because I’ve only got the one. I think I need to encourage her to eat and drink more too

Here’s the video from last night!

And here’s a clip of the head wobble

Back
Top Bottom