One eyed banty Rooster attacked, now combs black

I only know what Ive read on google, and here, but it says it's usually just spots of black on the top of the comb. His whole comb is black and all the feathers look plucked out behind the comb.

I'm not 💯, but I'll wash his comb real good and I'll see. Thank u for your help, and I'll let u know. U said peroxide and a toothbrush? I'm on it now. Wish me luck....I'm gonna need it.

Are certain it doesn't come off?
I couldn't find the peroxide, but I put Neosporin on his comb and let it sit a few minutes, and yes, it does seem to be coming off. I think he liked the soft toothbrush rubbing on his comb. He fell asleep. It was so hard though, it wasn't coming off real good, so I put more Neosporin on it and I'm going to try again in a few minutes. Thank u so much. I hope it all comes off.

I couldn't find the peroxide, but I put Neosporin on his comb and let it sit a few minutes, and yes, it does seem to be coming off. I think he liked the soft toothbrush rubbing on his comb. He fell asleep. It was so hard though, it wasn't coming off real good, so I put more Neosporin on it and I'm going to try again in a few minutes. Thank u so much. I hope it all comes off.
I am so glad it wasn't frostbite. That sort of thing is hard to treat and the bird suffers a lot of stress from comb removal. In my experience, dried blood has never really been an issue as long as it is removed and properly cleaned. :)

I am so glad it wasn't frostbite. That sort of thing is hard to treat and the bird suffers a lot of stress from comb removal. In my experience, dried blood has never really been an issue as long as it is removed and properly cleaned. :)
Thank you so much for the info. I thought his comb was black, I would have never thought it was covered in blood. And it's thick on there in some places. He's still soaking his comb in Neosporin, so I'm hoping more will come off easier than the last round. I love this web page. I spend so much time scrolling and reading, it's very informative and will definitely help me be a better chicken and duck mom. 🙂🦆🐓🐔🐣🐤🐥

Please get some clearer photos of the comb and the rooster/any other injuries as well.

I would not use any scrubbing action, peroxide or a toothbrush on a comb, wattles or face of a chicken.

If it's injury, then generally it will heal up on it's own. A tiny bit of triple antibiotic ointment applied to the comb if you wish.

If it's frostbite, then scrubbing, rubbing or messing with the comb will be painful and can make it much worse. You don't really mess with frostbitten tissue.

Peroxide can be damaging to skin, so it's not recommended to use. For a comb IF it absolutely has to be cleaned for some reason, then saline, vetericyn or banixx would be my go to products for anything dealing with face or comb.

Please get some clearer photos of the comb and the rooster/any other injuries as well.

I would not use any scrubbing action, peroxide or a toothbrush on a comb, wattles or face of a chicken.

If it's injury, then generally it will heal up on it's own. A tiny bit of triple antibiotic ointment applied to the comb if you wish.

If it's frostbite, then scrubbing, rubbing or messing with the comb will be painful and can make it much worse. You don't really mess with frostbitten tissue.

Peroxide can be damaging to skin, so it's not recommended to use. For a comb IF it absolutely has to be cleaned for some reason, then saline, vetericyn or banixx would be my go to products for anything dealing with face or comb.
The toothbrush is really soft, and I didn't scrub hard, but I can tell it's coming off. There's no other injuries that Ive found, and he really seemed to enjoy the toothbrush on his comb. He had that look like humans get when they qtip their ear. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I can make some saline solution, but I have Neosporin covering his comb right now. His comb is really hard, and seems to be uncomfortable for him. As soon as I started putting the Neosporin on it , he seemed kinda relieved. But I'm no chicken expert, I'm nowhere close....thank you for the info, and I'll try to get another, clearer pic of his comb. He's not fond of having his picture taken. 🙄 I got a better pic, and u can see the red at the top. Before I used the toothbrush, it was all black.

Attachments

• 16702142293042711455732509832256.jpg
    16702142293042711455732509832256.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom