One-eyed chicken with pus-filled socket [warning: semi-gross picture]

InsaneBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Feb 12, 2010
Kurtistown, Hawaii
I have a chicken that was born with one eye, and where the eye would have been was covered over with skin. Recently, the eyeless area started to swell, and then somehow the swollen area opened and seems to be full of a sort of cheesy pus and some fluid. The hen has been acting totally normal since birth, and hasn't seemed to be feeling unwell or displaying any signs of response to whatever it is. I tried to flush the pus out with water from a syringe, but it seems solid and I didn't want to do anything further until I had some opinions.
So what do you think it is, and what should I do about it? I thought of cleaning it out and packing the area with neosporin, but the instructions on the tube say not to use it in the eyes, and I don't know if the hen's eye may be underneath the pus.

48890_img_0033.jpg

Hello, InsaneBreeder. Looks like some type of infection set in. I agree with rinsing the eye as you suggested. You can search this site to see what folks use for this. Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment, sold in Tractor Supply stores, can be used once the eye is cleaned, although I've read on this site that some folks do use Neosporin for poultry eye problems. Here is a link to a description of Terramycin. http://www.tractorsupply.com/pfizer...thalmic-ointment-1-8-oz--2209032#product_tabs

I would also suggest putting your hen on oral antibiotics, Eye ointment is for the surface of the eye and it looks like this is a deeper eye infection. Do not use neosporin. Poor thing, hope she gets well soon.

Last edited:
Quote:
Our cockerel got pecked in the eye or something like that and it got infected because he kept scratching it. We put him on antibiotics and sprayed vetericyn in his eye with a syringe, when we started cleaning his eye with vetericyn he started getting a whole lot better. You couldn't even see his eye(swelling was really bad)but within a day hes better and you can see his eye. Heres a link: http://vetericyn.com/

its like cotteage chesse, wipe with a warm wet wash cloth til all the clumps are out (might have to move eyelid around some) . you might have to do this a few times a day for a few days. more inlikely the eye is gone. but the bird will live (had one myself and shes fine) this was all i did and my hen healed fine but her eye was gone. good luck

Back
Top Bottom