One finger two can tell a roo from a hen - HUH?

The finger thing is for adult egg layers.

A mature roo will have one finger width between the pelvic bones. A mature hen will have two. A good layer will have at least two, if not three finger widths and the pelvic bones will be very pliable. Stiff and narrow pelvic bones = not yet laying, poor layer, does not lay.

Mine are 5 weeks & the lady said this is the perfect time.

Leghorn is a Dark Brahma that is a hen due to "penciling". I was able to put 2 fingers in between her legs. (from the front) Gonzo (photo above) ... I placed 1 finger. Another that I believe is a hen ... 2. I'm not fully believing this but again ... great time with the chicks & my daughter.

Keep us all posted on your "findings".

By the time egg laying comes around ... why bother trying to figure out if you have a hen or roo? Won't I know by then? I'm already impatient at 5 weeks but waiting till 4-6 months?
ep.gif

At five weeks, you are better off going by the pinkish color and more prominent comb in the males versus the yellow, small comb in the girls. Around 4-6 weeks is when you will start to tell the difference.
smile.png
As for the finger thing...it makes sense in adults..not chicks, but what if you have small or large hands?
idunno.gif

Really, just feel for how pliable the pelvis bones are and don't worry about real finger widths. It's not really to sex birds as much as to determine which are better layers and which to take out from the laying flock.

All my chicks are SR. Only 1 of my other 18 chicks is a hen. We are unsure of the others. May I ask why you feel Gonzo might be a girl? What do you see that screams hen? I was studying them today and photographs on the computer. I'm having a hard time finding what I should be looking at. So being desperate ... Gonzo is 2 fingers.
cool.png

Last edited:
Quote:
There is nothing that screams hen I just see no red in the comb, but it has raptor legs so on that note it could be a boy. Wait one more week and I can tell you for sure

Back
Top Bottom