One Gander, Three Geese-A Question

wildpeas

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Port Orchard, Wa
When my flock has gotten to one gander and three geese in size, will there be a problem them all living together during the breeding season? If one of the girls gets broody will the gander try to keep the other girls out of the house? It didn't occur to me that there could be a problem in living situations and I have not planned on building another house.

Sorry if this is a common question, I couldn't figure out how to word the search.

I know of people keeping trios together - that is, 2 females to 1 gander, but I never thought about this:
Quote:
I would think they dont (maybe they only get aggressive toward other males?) but not sure. Good question...

I agree with Bhonkers. I think that they would only be aggressive towards another male or an intruder. I only have experience with my pair of geese and this is their first breeding season. Maybe someone with more goose breeding experience could give more information.

i don't have a lot of experience myself. This is the first year we have serious breeding going on. We have two ganders, but only the older one is mating. One goose has gone broody and is sitting on a nest in their sleeping pen and she is MEAN and LOUD! Our older gander seems to have bonded with her and will bite and harass any other goose who tries to get on that nest to lay eggs. So the other girls are laying eggs willy nilly in the yard, or anywhere they can find. And there is constant bickering and noise coming from the pen all night long.

This is just what is happening in my small flock, so it may not be be true for others. My husband has been begging me to get rid of the broody goose because she is so loud it hurts your eardrums. But i hate to pull her off that nest and away from her bonded mate. We'll see how that goes.
roll.png

I know of people keeping trios together - that is, 2 females to 1 gander, but I never thought about this:
Quote:
I would think they dont (maybe they only get aggressive toward other males?) but not sure. Good question...
We have 2 Trios - the problem last year was that each goose had her own nest - but they were side by side in their night house and when the goslings started to hatch - after the first one-- both Mom's abandonded the rest of their eggs. The gander was fine with the pair of geese but did protect them from everyone else in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom