One girl stopped laying - ayam cemani

nekocafe

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Georgia
Hello! I need a mystery solved for one of my girls. So over the winter she took a break from laying and then around late Feb she started laying again only to stop a couple weeks later then she laid again 2 times earlier this month and now she has stopped AGAIN. My chickens free range many hours each day, they have layer pellets, scratch, grit, fresh water. I looked around the yard to see if there’s a hidden spot where she’s laying but I haven’t found anything. She’s acting normal and healthy, she’s a very sweet girl. We live in GA and the temps have been wonderful. Any ideas as to what’s going on? Photos of her below. :)

Attachments

• D9C5D7B5-5683-445A-8324-0FAF4FB4E2E2.jpeg
    D9C5D7B5-5683-445A-8324-0FAF4FB4E2E2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 283
  • 0C3CD51C-628B-4969-B6EC-C4A7F68A6A24.jpeg
    0C3CD51C-628B-4969-B6EC-C4A7F68A6A24.jpeg
    908.6 KB · Views: 3
She is a primative breed (cemani ?) and a seasonal layer. They have their own schedule.
She is a cemani :) and I got her as more of a pet, last year she laid regularly so I just wanted to make sure all is okay. I am glad to hear they have their own schedule!

Sit out there with coffee for a couple of mornings, I bet she has a hidden nest, and they can be hidden in plain sight. I don't know how many times I have walked right by. Either that or lock them up for several days.

Although this year, I had a hidden nest in my coop. In an impossible place that turns out, was not so impossible. But I am betting you have a hidden nest.

Mrs K

Sit out there with coffee for a couple of mornings, I bet she has a hidden nest, and they can be hidden in plain sight. I don't know how many times I have walked right by. Either that or lock them up for several days.

Although this year, I had a hidden nest in my coop. In an impossible place that turns out, was not so impossible. But I am betting you have a hidden nest.

Mrs K
I have checked the yard but like you said it’s very possible I missed the nest so I will be looking again. The handful of other times she’s laid this year has been in the nesting box though, so bizarre.

Instead of looking for a nest.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Instead of looking for a nest.....
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Thank you! This is a good idea. I had golf balls and removed them around the time she started laying again the first time so I’ll put them back and hopefully that’ll help. :)

Back
Top Bottom