One hen doesn’t return to coop at night— any ideas?

Same problem but it's all my girls. I have 3 all the same age raised from 2 days old together. They are 4 months old now. Everynight when it gets dark we have to round them up or they would stay out all night. Coop is clean we have a 1/4 acre completely fenced so they are free range during the day. Which leads to my second issue, I thought from all my reading and research the hens would be naturally fearful and would stay close to home. Not these girls! We have one girl Nugget, she is such a witch! She bullies all the dogs and is the boss of everyone. She chases squirrels, dogs isn't afraid of anything. She is constantly jumping the 6' fence and encourages the other 2 to follow. We catch her in the tree, on the deck railing and now she has figured out the dog door and tries to get in the house. Any suggestions?

I am chuckling as I read these posts and am tripping down memory lane...

There have been a few times when I could not round everyone up and put them into their housing early, when I needed to. I closed up the coop, put some hiding places (big barrels on their side, creating what I hoped was a safer space for them), and hoped for the best.

When I got home, it was dark, and I found the chickens in the hiding places I set up or on the deck railing. (The chickens have been taught to go to the deck if they need a "safe" place.)

I've had one cockerel who was just happier roosting on my "social chair." It didn't seem to matter where the chair was, THAT was where I would find him at dusk/dark. I would pick him up and move him into his house. I finally stopped and moved him to the deck. He was always happier sleeping outside, than inside. Now that COLDER and stormy/windy weather has arrived, I have moved him in with a flock. He still wants to sleep outside, but he's adjusting. (Today the high was 54.) All of my housing for the animals is considered to be very generous in size - crowding wasn't an issue. I clean the animal spaces daily - filth was not an issue. He was definitely a more dominant cockerel - so bullying wasn't an issue. He just prefers to sleep on the social chair.

Social chair - I have a folding lawn chair that I take with me when I visit with the animals. I set up the chair in different places.

A previous friend had a major issue with chickens nesting and roosting elsewhere. Her coop was TINY (think 50+ birds for a coop that was 3'x4' and that INCLUDED the nesting boxes along one wall) and FILTHY (think it was NEVER cleaned out in several years until I came along.) I cleaned out the coop a few times because it was so disgusting and SMELLY. Chickens would die around the coop and she wouldn't remove the bodies. When I would mention it to her, she would say she knew it had died.

So --- there may be a few reasons why the chicken isn't coming back that others mentioned (lost her way, being bullied, she feels it's too hot/crowded/whatever.) And it may be that the chicken has an independent streak.

The coop looked large enough for the girls.

Could you expand the run?

The coop is 6' x 4' and the run is 10 or 12' squared with chicken netting and the roof is net also. We have a small door flap and a ramp for them to go in and out from the run to the coop then we prop the run door open so they can go in and out whenever. I'm starting to think because we have never had a predator issue with the 4 large dogs they have never learned to be afraid. Even during thunderstorms they will just hang out in the yard.

We try to be out at pen before dark each night so if our count comes up short we are lookin for the chicken in the light and not the dark (though I keep a flashlight with me because there have been a few times I couldn't be home and when I got home and counted one or more was missin). I always count and then go look for chicken. Easier now then it used to be when I didn't have perimeter fencing. Mine are free range on 4 acres. Unfortunately, we have raccoons so we can't let any of them stay outside overnight.

The easiest thing to do is to lure them into the coop with food while it's still light out and then shut them in. They get used to this after a while and won't be a problem. Also, since it appears that this particular bird gets picked on, a separate roost might be a good idea if you can manage. Nothing fancy, just something she can get up on at night out of pecking range from the other girls.

The easiest thing to do is to lure them into the coop with food while it's still light out and then shut them in. They get used to this after a while and won't be a problem. Also, since it appears that this particular bird gets picked on, a separate roost might be a good idea if you can manage. Nothing fancy, just something she can get up on at night out of pecking range from the other girls.

^this. You'd be surprised how easy it is to train chickens. I bought a cute leather rooster thingy with bells on it. Every evening when I want to round them up I ring the bell and call them. It took maybe 3 days for them to learn the bell meant scratch. Now I don't need the bell, I can just call "girls" and they can't seem to run fast enough to find me. It's hilarious watching them flapping across the yard. If I'm not wanting to call them in early they will eventually congregate and complain I am the late one!

^this. You'd be surprised how easy it is to train chickens. I bought a cute leather rooster thingy with bells on it. Every evening when I want to round them up I ring the bell and call them. It took maybe 3 days for them to learn the bell meant scratch. Now I don't need the bell, I can just call "girls" and they can't seem to run fast enough to find me. It's hilarious watching them flapping across the yard. If I'm not wanting to call them in early they will eventually congregate and complain I am the late one!
So true! The bell idea is a cute one. I just started sittin outside and yellin "Come here babies" and those that came got treats, latecomers or ones scared did not. I do this with all my chicks and eventually everyone comes over to the "treat side", lol. If I have to put mine in early it is exactly what I do.

All my girls are the same age but she is def bottom of the pecking order! She is the most personable and is my favorite but def is not popular with the other chickens!
Our chickens are 4 months old and have been in there run/coop for a while, I had just cleaned the coop when she started not coming home!
Is there anything I can do about the pecking order??

I had one chicken that was doing this and it turns out, she was brooding on a nest of eggs!

Good idea with the bells. I usually go around with the scoop I use for food with new birds-- when they see that, they come running. After a few days of that they congregate in the coop on their own and always get a snack before bedtime. No hassle at all any more.

I think our problem is the pecking our! Little miss piggy which is the one that didn't like to come in is def bottom of the order! I kept them in the pen for two weeks they all come back in the evening now! I also have been doing treats! I have an old coffee can and shake it and own they all typically come running!!

Thanks for all the help! Now I need to think of a name for my mini chicken farm for a stamp for eggs when I have extras that go out! Not a business I just like stuff like that! We are getting two eggs a day right now which is great but we will probably have extra once they all start laying!!

Back
Top Bottom