One hen is laying, but the eggs are tiny!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by taylorgirl6, Dec 29, 2009.

1. taylorgirl6

taylorgirl6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    For those of you with so much more chicken experience, would someone please tell me when my chicken's eggs will get to be normal sized? So far Raquel (a Dominique) has laid two eggs in about two or three days. Both are the size of banty eggs, they're perfectly formed with gorgeous golden yolks, and the shells are light brown. I'm ecstatic, so don't get me wrong here. This is a great time for the whole household, and we are cheering Raquel on every time we walk past the coop. How long does it take for the eggs to get bigger?

2. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    they normally get bigger as the hen gets used to laying eggs

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    It took mine about 3 months to get to a "normal" size.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I used to call them "starter eggs". Just found out there's a name for them - pullet eggs.

Last year when my Brahmas began laying, I kept them an a carton in order so I could see the gradual size increase. Each egg was a tad larger than the previous. I think it varies as to how long it takes for a layer to achieve her full size.

I really get a kick out of these little eggs - so tiny, yet so perfect in every way!

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, give it a couple of weeks/months. I had such a range in age (8 weeks between oldest to youngest group) that it seemed I had tiny eggs from someone for 4 months or more. Other than my EE's, I'm not sure which bird is actually laying which eggs...but I was able to get 14 eggs from my 15 birds one day! Now I'm down 2 birds (thanks to a fox and a hawk:mad: and with the 20 degree days and shorter sunlight time, I'm getting 7-10 a day. I still have some smaller than others, but as a whole, they have all progressively gotten bigger. When baking with them, just add an extra egg...if recipe calls for 2 eggs, add 3 eggs...works great!

6. taylorgirl6

taylorgirl6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Thanks for all the expertise! Since only one of my six girls is even laying, I'm sure I'll have plenty of pullet eggs for a while. While I truly did not expect to see anything until the weather warmed up (we've had lows in the teens for three weeks, which is unusual this close to Puget Sound), I'm now bouncing around the coop several times a day, looking for another mini egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by