One hen killed by neighbors cat...

ozzchicken

Songster
11 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Bethlehem,Pa
One of my hens was killed by a neighbors cat, when the cat came back the next day head stuck his head into the run and the hens pecked his eye out.
The cat died, the neighbor called animal conyrol about what the chickens did, and they fined my neighbor for his cat attacking my hens.
justice was served:)
smile.png
smile.png

back fifty years ago people took care of there own problems instead of calling the cops about every little thing. they had a problem they walked over adn talked about it. now it's cops or animal control

I'm sorry you lost a hen. I'm sorry you lost that hen violently. I'm sorry the neighbors lost their cat and that there will most likely be "hard feelings" over all this.

Was your hen a small hen? Was she weak for some reason? I don't think that any cat in my area could "take" one of my larger hens... maybe one of the bantams, but not if the rooster was near. My own cat only "eyes" and "drools over" the baby chicks, doesn't even think of "taking on" the full grown hens, or even the bantams (And, won't go after the babies with mama hen nearby). It seems odd to me that a cat could catch, hold and kill a hen? Do you know how it happened, or that it was the cat for sure? Are there other predators in your area?

If my cat goes to my neighbor's house and gets killed by their dog... that is my cat's problem and fault. Heartbreaking, but true.

I have put bells on my cat's collar, so that all the birds can hear her coming and have a better chance. She also comes in and stays in at night, and the chickens go into the coop for the night.

Best of luck.

I have had problems with this cat before, it tried to get in the ru n but couldn't.. it dug a whole under the fence to get at the hens.
I thought the diggin was from a possum or coon but caught the cat diggin the night before it killed a hen.
the last time it got half way in and two hens kept pecking at it, it ran home. The next day a officer came and asked me what happened he laughed that the hens did this to a cat. He then fined my neighbor $130 for the death of my hen,,,,
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

HOW did a cat DIE from having it's eye pecked out? I would think it would survive just fine if it was cared for properly. I have a shih tzu that lost an eye after a dog fight and she is absolutely fine.
hu.gif

I agree with you that dude got exactly what he deserved for calling animal control!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom