one hen laying off-tasting eggs

roy oliver

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Hi,
I have four chickens (a sex link red, 2 New Hampshire reds, and an sl wyandotte) all about 20 wks old. The sex link red has been laying very consistently for several weeks, unfortunately all of her eggs have an off-taste to them (a slightly fishy, mustiness) at first I thought this might be part of the fresh egg taste (this is my first time raising chickens) but the others have since started laying and their eggs have no hint of the off-flavor. The difference is pretty dramatic. The strange eggs in question look great (inside and out) it's strictly a taste/smell issue. Any ideas about what might be going on?

I don't think so--they free-range a little but the bulk of their diet is regular layer feed.

EWW! IDK about that one. None of my girls eggs taste like that. In fact, when we first started getting eggs and we ate them I noted how the flavor is a lot more mild than store bought eggs. IDK. I hope someone has an answer for you.

I have the same issue.........strong fishy taste to the eggs.They are fed laying mash and scratch feed.

Some of the laying mash has fish meal or flax in them and the one who eats it the most may have a problem. Check your laying mash. Although it maybe an inherited thing like some goats have horrible milk. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom