One hen not returning to coop

rcookiegirl

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2017
I have 6- 16 week okd hens. I allow them to free range in the late afternoon/evening when I am home. The last two nights, one of my hens has not returned to the coop, but instead finds a place to roost, right outside of the run. I have picked her up and put her in both nights. Prior, she was always the last in, but went in at dark on her own. Thoughts? There seems to be plenty of roosting room in the coop, but all the ladies huddle in one spot.

Hmm that is weird. How big is your coop? I have some right now trying to sleep in a hole on theside of a hill and one that only wants to sleep in a pine tree outside of my window. Freaks me out every morning lol. What breed are they.

The one not returning to the coop is an Amberlink. The others are RIR, and an ISA. The coop seems large enough, as they all huudle together on one roosting bar, and the rest of the coop and roosting bar remains empty.

Sometimes I think they are just being stubborn but if you have time try to watch and see where she is in pecking order. I'm guessing she's at the bottom and might be hiding. Thats the case for the girl in the tree.

The coop seems large enough
But how big is it in feet by feet? Take a tape measure out and get the numbers....pics are always helpful too. I'm betting as they are getting bigger it's feeling crowded in there...might be stuffy and/or hot too.

What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers/suggestions.

At 16 weeks your amberlink may be close to laying...hormonal changes can cause behavioral and pecking order changes. Good time to address any space issues, cause it can get crazy as they all start to lay.

We start by hand feeding them shelled sunflower seeds as a treat, from a plastic jar that we rattle as we feed them. Then if we want to get them back in, even during the day, we call them and walk around rattling the jar, and they are quick to follow us in. Then we reward them with sunflower seeds on the ground while we close the pen gate.

Optiker

I have 4 hens and a roo, all large birds. The main tractor is 7 X 8 and the roost is a 6' 2x4. Plenty of room, but Rosie won't sleep with the others. They don't pick on her or anything, she's just a loner. Always off by herself, the friendliest toward people. We were given another tractor (new built, as an Easter gift) and used it for meat chicks once. She decided to sleep in there and has ever since. Every so often, one of the others will sleep there, but usually only Rosie. I'm fine with that, only have to close/open both daily instead of just one. I think it's normal for her.

Back
Top Bottom