One hen plus 20 chicks

MariposaMama

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Mariposa, CA
For those that didn't see my other threads, on Thursday night some rotten predator got in and killed two of my three 3 month old birds. Friday morning, I got my shipment of chicks from Ideal. For the last two nights, we have been bringing Vanilla into the garage to keep her safe while hubby builds a secure smaller coop to put in the big coop.

I am thinking of moving the brooder box into the smaller coop so Vanilla won't be alone. I know the chicks have to stay in the brooder until they are feathered, but I am wondering if you think Vanilla would still try to hurt them if I let them mingle with her at 4-6 weeks of age, or if she would more likely be okay with them since she'll be familiar with having them around and they are her only company.

I'm not sure, as I'm pretty new to this.

But I'll bump in hopes of you getting some answers!

I would guess that you could put the two cages together so they could see each other for a couple of days and then put them together and watch them closely.

I think Vanilla would enjoy the company, but keep them caged seperately, but near each other so they can get used to being around each other.

Back
Top Bottom