One legged duck Help

Creyzlik

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2019
I recently got a few ducks from a neighbor I noticed one was missing one of its feet he seemed to walk fine and after asking the previous owner she said the duck had always had one leg and that it never seemed to be bothered by it. I don't think the duck is having any problems but he limps heavily and occasionally falls when he's running is there anything I can do to help him

I recently got a few ducks from a neighbor I noticed one was missing one of its feet he seemed to walk fine and after asking the previous owner she said the duck had always had one leg and that it never seemed to be bothered by it. I don't think the duck is having any problems but he limps heavily and occasionally falls when he's running is there anything I can do to help him
Can you post any pictures

I had a call call duck with the same issue, Eileen. We just reformed our calls two weeks ago, and they are small ducks, but, she was very apt at getting around. The bottom of her leg had grown over and was calloused very hard. She had a limp, but she would take calculated breaks to stay up with the group. Calls also fly, so that helped her. I never needed to wrap her her limb because when I got her she was fully adapted.

I had a goose who was attacked in our pond by a snapping turtle and had his leg amputated, knee down. We made him a cart, but he preferred to hop on one leg and , for a long while kept up great with the others. Then Stubs grew bigger and I did PT on his leg for strength but he had a hard time. I kept him in with rabbits who live in these mobile yard pens, called tractors. They all loved that. Stubs lived a long time like that. But, he could no one get around and got bedsores without my knowledge, and, he got very ill.

Anyways..having had two with one limb, and it sounds as though yours is full- grown, and used to the situation, I think perhaps you should be good. I would watch food. Don’t let him get overweight. Perhaps give him vita BComplex and watch for any bedsores if he doesn’t get around. Keep an eye on his limb. We had several ideas for Stubs. Someone even told us to put a spatula on the end of it. But, if it’s calloused, it’s probably good. Perhaps some BluKote in case it gets a crack in the skin, just to prevent infection, from time to time. Eileen lives right down the road. I saw her four days ago. She is still doing great. She is a feisty, stinker duck with a great will. I’m betting you’ll find the same of your new pet! :)

I had a call call duck with the same issue, Eileen. We just reformed our calls two weeks ago, and they are small ducks, but, she was very apt at getting around. The bottom of her leg had grown over and was calloused very hard. She had a limp, but she would take calculated breaks to stay up with the group. Calls also fly, so that helped her. I never needed to wrap her her limb because when I got her she was fully adapted.

I had a goose who was attacked in our pond by a snapping turtle and had his leg amputated, knee down. We made him a cart, but he preferred to hop on one leg and , for a long while kept up great with the others. Then Stubs grew bigger and I did PT on his leg for strength but he had a hard time. I kept him in with rabbits who live in these mobile yard pens, called tractors. They all loved that. Stubs lived a long time like that. But, he could no one get around and got bedsores without my knowledge, and, he got very ill.

Anyways..having had two with one limb, and it sounds as though yours is full- grown, and used to the situation, I think perhaps you should be good. I would watch food. Don’t let him get overweight. Perhaps give him vita BComplex and watch for any bedsores if he doesn’t get around. Keep an eye on his limb. We had several ideas for Stubs. Someone even told us to put a spatula on the end of it. But, if it’s calloused, it’s probably good. Perhaps some BluKote in case it gets a crack in the skin, just to prevent infection, from time to time. Eileen lives right down the road. I saw her four days ago. She is still doing great. She is a feisty, stinker duck with a great will. I’m betting you’ll find the same of your new pet! :)
ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom