One Less Snake w/Picture

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dogzrule5, Aug 1, 2008.

1. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I've posted a couple of times about all the snakes I had cleared out of my barn. I think I chased the last one out last week. I always have my eyes open for them though.

This evening after work I was making my rounds and decided to get Flora out of her little temporary pen and carry her around with me. All the poults, including the wild 4 were near the little gate but I thought they were just looking for food.

Flora and I walked around checking on everybody and when I walked back toward the poults' temporary pen I noticed a huge black snake laying on top of the deer net that covers their pen. I thought - great - one is back. When I looked, it didn't move. Upon closer inspection I realized it was dead. I was hoping that the poults had killed it but there were no peck marks on it. It had gotten tangled in the deer netting and was cut pretty deep. To tell how long it is, it's beside a 6' garden stake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Woo thats a big one

We killed one the other day in our coop! he was in the nest box.. he was 20inches long.. we hung'em in a tree after we killed it and boy did it rain the next night

Is that white on it's head?

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW!!!! Imagine!

4. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Quote:He's belly up so a lot of white shows. He's a black rat snake. I have other pictures but had so much trouble uploading them. I'll try again.

I didn't know about that wive's tale; I should have hung him up too but I was pretty grossed out.

[​IMG]

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    By the way - snakes do not make good catfish bait. I've tried it.

6. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

the only good snake is.....a dead snake. M opinion and I am sticking to it. PERIOD.

7. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    :eek: whoa!!!

8. Charlene1234

Charlene1234 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2008
    Man if I'd have come across that thing near me I'd be half way to the house and calling my husband home from work to take care of it. I can deal with Garter Snakes and even a nice King Snake but something that BIG, Holy Moses! Now I'll have snake nightmares again.

9. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

He's a big one!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we catch snakes all the time and feed them to the chickens so they can have their revenge.

(we don't have anything more than the occasional garter snake, but it's good fun to watch!)

glad you got him first!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by