One Less Snake w/Picture

dogzrule5

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Sanford, NC
I've posted a couple of times about all the snakes I had cleared out of my barn. I think I chased the last one out last week. I always have my eyes open for them though.

This evening after work I was making my rounds and decided to get Flora out of her little temporary pen and carry her around with me. All the poults, including the wild 4 were near the little gate but I thought they were just looking for food.

Flora and I walked around checking on everybody and when I walked back toward the poults' temporary pen I noticed a huge black snake laying on top of the deer net that covers their pen. I thought - great - one is back. When I looked, it didn't move. Upon closer inspection I realized it was dead. I was hoping that the poults had killed it but there were no peck marks on it. It had gotten tangled in the deer netting and was cut pretty deep. To tell how long it is, it's beside a 6' garden stake.

8906_snake3.jpg

8906_black_snake_1jpg.jpg

Woo thats a big one

We killed one the other day in our coop! he was in the nest box.. he was 20inches long.. we hung'em in a tree after we killed it and boy did it rain the next night

Is that white on it's head?

Quote:
He's belly up so a lot of white shows. He's a black rat snake. I have other pictures but had so much trouble uploading them. I'll try again.

I didn't know about that wive's tale; I should have hung him up too but I was pretty grossed out.

8906_snake_close_up.jpg

Man if I'd have come across that thing near me I'd be half way to the house and calling my husband home from work to take care of it. I can deal with Garter Snakes and even a nice King Snake but something that BIG, Holy Moses! Now I'll have snake nightmares again.

we catch snakes all the time and feed them to the chickens so they can have their revenge.

(we don't have anything more than the occasional garter snake, but it's good fun to watch!)

glad you got him first!

Back
Top Bottom