One lonely chicken girl

mcalypso

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Lone Grove , Oklahoma
I have one very lonely and spoiled hen. I have never raised chickens before, I'm a city girl thrust in to the country!! Anyway, my hen is about 5 months old and has not started laying yet. I believe she is an americauna. I would like to get her some friends, she is lonely during the day when I'm at work. Lol. I would like to know if she would be ok with some chicks, or if I should wait until they are older to introduce them to her. She is a sweet and docile chicken, just very spoiled.

Hello and Welcome! I am also a city girl.

It's great to get some friends, I think your hen will be a lot happier with some buddies. Even very nice hens are sometimes mean to chicks. Usually only broody hens will raise chicks. Also, if you get little baby chicks they should stay inside with a heat lamp until they are fully feathered. It would be better to put everyone together when they are a little older.

Good luck! Ask lots of questions. People are kind and helpful here.

as she is a pullet she shoud take to some very young ones well,eg such as those who are not long past the age of going out.
as they start getting older it gets harder though not impossible-to mix them because they all get ahead of themselves and start seeing each other as pecking order competition.
the young ones usualy know not to mess with pullets or older.

a lovely maran pullet of mine,temple is at the bottom of the pecking order in her crew unfortunately and always was,but she enjoys being brought out of the coop to be the top dog of the cochin youngsters,on her second play date with them she was mingling with them as part of the group, and the youngsters respect her.

however,a seven year old ex battery girl we have,henny is on her own due to fox attacks long ago and she is seriously territorial,she has never accepted other chickens into her life and is very vicious towards others,she was very spoilt and mothered when her sisters were taken by the fox but older chucks are usualy harder to adapt.

Back
Top Bottom