One lonely little chicken

Wintherflykt

Hatching
May 20, 2015
Hi!

I´m new to this forum, and I live in Sweden, but couldn't find any good forums in swedish about peafowls, so Im trying here. :)

We put a few "old" eggs (that our peahen didn't care about) in the hatcher believing non would hatch, but one did! He/she is so lonely and I carry him with me a lot of the time, but he really dislikes being left in his cage... I think he doesnt eat very much but I don't know how big he is supposed to be now... He is almost 2 weeks now. When he was one week old he weighed 65 grams. How much does a one week pea chicken weight normally?

His mother is now laying on 10 eggs, but I don't know if she will take care of him if I put him out with the rest when they are hatched... I can't keep him inside till his all grown... ;P I´d be grateful for advice!

(Sorry if I misspelled something, but english isn't my maternal language) ;)

Thank you for your answer. I think its to cold outside if she wouldn't care for him (about 3-4 degrees celsius at night) and Im afraid either the peahen would dislike his presens or if she would go all in with taking care of him, she might abandon her eggs?

The other day we tried to take in an ordinary hen to see if she would take care of him, but he was scared stiff of her and she didn't seem to like him either so we took her away again. He believes Im his mother and the cat his brother. ;)

Im most interested in knowing about the weight... How much he is supposed to weigh each week... If he eats enough? What do you guys feed your pea chickens? He is not really fond of the ordinary chicken food... :-/

Hi!

I´m new to this forum, and I live in Sweden, but couldn't find any good forums in swedish about peafowls, so Im trying here. :)

We put a few "old" eggs (that our peahen didn't care about) in the hatcher believing non would hatch, but one did! He/she is so lonely and I carry him with me a lot of the time, but he really dislikes being left in his cage... I think he doesnt eat very much but I don't know how big he is supposed to be now... He is almost 2 weeks now. When he was one week old he weighed 65 grams. How much does a one week pea chicken weight normally?

His mother is now laying on 10 eggs, but I don't know if she will take care of him if I put him out with the rest when they are hatched... I can't keep him inside till his all grown... ;P I´d be grateful for advice!

(Sorry if I misspelled something, but english isn't my maternal language) ;)

DO NOT put him with his momma, if she has other eggs she will see him as an intruder in her nest and may kill him. One day separated from the hen and they will often not take a chick back. If there is anyway you can borrow a chicken chick from someone it will keep your chick company so he does not cry all the time, that is a good idea, just make sure the chick is clean and healthy. Send a private message to @casportpony she weighs her chicks and larger Peacocks and she would be the most likely person to tell you if he is growing enough, I've never weighed mine that young.

I don't think she will take care of him, remember peachicks needs higher protein in their feed for the first 2-3 weeks of their life, i use feed with 26% for the first two weeks then change it to another feed with 18% protein from the third week. He should be gaining weight everyday, if not then there is a problem.

This little one had trouble hatching last year and his momma left him behind in the nest. I brought him in for 24 hrs to gain some strength and when I tried to return him at night she went after him pecking and hissing.

This little one had trouble hatching last year and his momma left him behind in the nest. I brought him in for 24 hrs to gain some strength and when I tried to return him at night she went after him pecking and hissing.

How cute! I would love to have white peafowls! Peafowl angels... ;) How did it go? Did you take care of him? Did he/she survive?

Back
Top Bottom