one long thread for all of my current and future incubation questions

Shipped eggs can be a huge disappointment for new hatchers. There are so many things to monitor during the hatch. (humidity, temp). Then there is the stress of shipping, temp fluctuations and time. Local eggs should give you the best advantage for having a good hatch. I contact the sellers on craigslist who have eggs and ask if they have a rooster. Then I ask for fresh unwashed eggs. I let them know I want to hatch them. Good for newbies since these eggs are only a few bucks per dozen.

Do your shipped ones have a drastically different hatch rates?
It depends widely on the seller, too. For me, it has been a great experience so far. We paid for 12, but he gave us 3 more as a bonus. So out of the 15, 10 hatched. Some of the others may not have hatched because we suspect that they weren’t fertile anyway in the beginning. My experience with shipping eggs has been okay, as long as you make sure the seller takes care that the eggs get shipped safely and are well prepared(not damaged). Other than that, I am quite happy of the hatch rates. After all, people on Craigslist do sell a little cheaper. As the old saying goes, “You get what you paid for”!

Back
Top Bottom