one long thread for all of my current and future incubation questions

I suck at quoting. It worked the first time.:confused:

With chickens I feel comfortable leaving in up to a day old if necessary. Yes, I like to leave a cheerleader behind — it seems to help. Usually the last one out. Eggs that are actively working tend to wiggle in response to chirps (super cool!).
Ok, great! have you ever had issues with chicks panicking when you pick them up and move them to the brooder?
I have heard it’s bad if there’s a chick is mid hatch when you open the bator. I do try to time it so nobody is just starting to zip. But IME there doesn’t tend to be a problem if humidity is high enough and stable.
Makes sense.
I absolutely remove the football players
:lau :lau
Only candle during lockdown if there is a specific need (eg, to see if a very late hatcher is still alive).
Ok!
Once you go into lockdown, binge watch Vikings or start a 1000 piece puzzle or reorganize your closet —-
Do you mean once on hatch day? I don't think that I'd be panicking for three days straight. A puzzle is a fun idea!

Ok, great! have you ever had issues with chicks panicking when you pick them up and move them to the brooder?
Glad you asked this. I racked my brain back a ways and: NO. Not exactly. With only the possible exception of some button quail, they rush toward me when the incubator is opened. “MOMMA!!!” So be prepared for a stampede if there’s a lot, but it’s always been toward the front, especially if you peep at them to get their attention first.
Do you mean once on hatch day? I don't think that I'd be panicking for three days straight. A puzzle is a fun idea!
I meant from the start of lockdown. But if you won’t be a bator lurker, then you’re good. It used to be hard for me to not hover. I still check twice daily for early birds and pips to know who may be ready.

Editing out dumb question: Are you trying to get a special breed(s)? My eggs mostly all come from local Craigslist or shipped off eBay.

Last edited:
Glad you asked this. I racked my brain back a ways and: NO. Not exactly. With only the possible exception of some button quail, they rush toward me when the incubator is opened. “MOMMA!!!” So be prepared for a stampede if there’s a lot, but it’s always been toward the front, especially if you peep at them to get their attention first.
Ok, that’s great! I was super concerned that I’d end up with panicked chicks messing up the other eggs.
I meant from the start of lockdown. But if you won’t be a bator lurker, then you’re good. It used to be hard for me to not hover. I still check twice daily for early birds and pips to know who may be ready.
I’ll time mine to hatch on a Saturday because I’m good on Friday and sunday for early and late hatchers, so for the first two days of lockdown I’ll be at school all day ;) lurking problem solved!
Editing out dumb question: Are you trying to get a special breed(s)?
Yep
My eggs mostly all come from local Craigslist or shipped off eBay.
Do your shipped ones have a drastically different hatch rates?

Would shipping eggs completely ruin my first hatch? (STRUGGLING to find fertile eggs anywhere near me)
I heard that it lowers the hatch rate a lot. You may end up with saddled or detached aircells, which you can still hatch with, but won’t be easy because they require special attention. I sent you a bunch of links to articles, and one of them I’ve read is extremely informative about how to deal with those situations. I think it’s the Beginners Guide by @ Pyxis

Back
Top Bottom