one month old chick black toe

Pippomky75

Chirping
Nov 11, 2017
Fallon, NV
One of our chicks hatched with a clubbed foot, all his toes curved sideways causing him to walk on the inside top of the foot. He is half the size of the rest of his brood mates even though he eats and drinks he is not growing . He peeps constantly day and night, unless he is being held- this seems to give him some comfort. Two days ago I noticed one of the toes turning black, so I am guessing that the deformity is preventing blood flow to the toe. He is able to walk on the foot, I am wondering if we should remove the toe and cauterize it to keep it from spreading.

One of our chicks hatched with a clubbed foot, all his toes curved sideways causing him to walk on the inside top of the foot. He is half the size of the rest of his brood mates even though he eats and drinks he is not growing . He peeps constantly day and night, unless he is being held- this seems to give him some comfort. Two days ago I noticed one of the toes turning black, so I am guessing that the deformity is preventing blood flow to the toe. He is able to walk on the foot, I am wondering if we should remove the toe and cauterize it to keep it from spreading.
Can you post some photos?

Back
Top Bottom