One Month Old Today and ...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Connorrm, May 19, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    I can't believe how fast the time flew by. I have seven speckled sussex and five "red pullets" from TSC. So far all my reds look like girls. But, looks like I have four roos in my sussex.

That doesn't bother me a bit - I live on 5 acres and am surrounded by cornfields [​IMG] Though I'll be keeping the fastest growing and friendliest roo the rest are going to make delicious slow roasting.

It's amazing how much I"ve learned. I just started to get them to like me. We had earthworms the other day. I chopped them into 1'' bits and dangled my hand in the brooder. They got the idea! Now whenever my hand goes in they flock to me. I can even pet them now!

Their little personalities are shining through. I have one (what I think is a pullet) SS who is the maturest personality wise of the bunch. She just walks around and eats regally and quietly. She's also the biggest one and what she says goes. Except for one little cockerel (VERY pink comb and wattles started) who likes to try to win. I told him never argue with a woman. He doesn't listen.

Then there's my favorite of the red pullets I think she's a comet. She sleeps on her side with her one wing spread all the way out. Directly under the heat lamp. And when she does it she just flops over - it's loud enough to make all the other chicks stop what they're doing and just glare at her.

I've lowered the heat to about 75 degrees they are always on the cool end now. I have 12 in a 3' x 5' bator. I hope that is enough space for them for the next two weeks. By then I think it will be coop time. It doesn't get below 55 here at night anymore and the days are 70+

2. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    I'm a newbie to chicks also, our 12 are about 10 days older than yours. Ten of ours are TSC red pulleys too.

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

My black Australorps are 11 weeks old now, and I can't believe how fast time went by. It is so much fun watching them go from a little ball of fluff to a chick that can fly in a matter of two weeks. I grew up on a farm, but chickens were livestock, so I missed out on all the funny and kooky stuff they do.

I am getting 10 to 12 Welsummers from a breeder the first week of June, and l am counting the days. I have learned so much from my first batch of chicks and from this forum, so I am more than ready to have little fluff balls back in the house.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, they grow up so fast, but somehow take forever to lay an egg. Enjoy them!

5. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Quote:So true! I'm already trying to figure out if I want more >.>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by