( ONE ) new chick...HELP !!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ktown55, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ktown55

ktown55 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    East Tenn..
    We Had Another Chick Hatch Last Night Around 9pm..So I Just Left It In the Bator Over Night, Ok, The Other Two Little Chicks I Have Are Just About Two And A Half Days Older, And when I Put the New Chick In the Brooder, At First Everything Seem Ok, And Then The Older Chicks Start Picking At the Baby...What Do I Need To Do?? Do I Need To Put The Baby Chick In Another Brooder For Alittle While Or Just Leave Everything The Way It Is? Thank You For Your Help.....Ktown
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    I walked around holding everyone for a couple hours, and they settled in.
  3. lady and her girls

lady and her girls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    Keep the big ones in a seperate pen until the little one gets his balance and strenth. also a red heat lanp bulb will help
  4. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I've found when putting chicks together that a a few days up to a week apart if I just wait till the new one is atleast 2 days old and able to move around easily they do fine. I also end up carrying the lone baby around to comfort them and they do settle right in (plus I must admit, I enjoy it) [​IMG] T
  5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    My Coop
    I gently push the bullies back with my finger each time they start pecking. It takes a little while but it seems to work on mine.
  6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I wait for the new one to be 2-3 days old when it can handle itself better. Today was Day 1 of carrying around "Socks" because he was the only chick out of 9 eggs. I set some more just for him, but the next chick is one week away. Socks is my little pocket pet for a week! Then I'll carry 1 of the others with him for a day or 2, and then add them to the brooder with the other 2 due to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by