One odd duck!

Lil Chickie Mama

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
California
Okay so I don't know anything about ducks, but were here to learn right? My husband told me yesterday that we had a random duck that wouldn't leave. The duck had been here all week and my husband JUST told me, grrr. Anyway I went to look at him and he's HUGE! I don't know what he is though. I think he's probably a mixed breed muscovy drake. He has the red face, mottled belly, large white coloring on wings and some on his back. He makes a little noise and flew away when my little Bella dog got too close. I looked today to see if he came back and was able to snap a few pictures. He's about two times her size so that probably puts him at around 16 lbs. (Seriously, he's bigger than he looks in the picture!) He's got a pretty good sized crest though I'm not sure it shows well in the pic. Sorry about the quality it's cloudy today, no sun. Anyway let me know if you know what he is. I call him Elvis with his pompadour crest, not original, but my FIL loves Elvis.
26742_100_1020.jpg

ELVIS

Quote:
Really! Shows how much I know. Thanks for the quick response, I guess Elvis is a girl. Now...Is there anyway to catch her since she seems to like it here anyway? My coop is almost ready with a no-fly run. I'd like to know that she's getting the right kind of food instead of filling up on the rice piles around here. (We have lots of dead pigeons and other birds because they fill up on rice and then drink water and I guess that's what kills them, it bloats and bursts their stomachs.) Plus she's just resting/nesting under a line of trees on our property but it's kinda close to the road. I don't want her to get eaten by a raccoon while she sleeps or anything. She seems pretty nice, not too interested in us, but not really bothered either. She just doesn't like Bella. Maybe I should just let her be. I don't know. I just think she's REALLY cool looking. If you all say that I should leave her alone, I'll just order some Muscovy ducklings. Do they usually have a crested head? Honestly her's is big, it just doesn't show in the pic but I saw it yesterday.

26742_100_1018.jpg

Elvis
26742_im000089.jpg

Bella LOL. Who could be afraid of Bella? She's so little, and though it wasn't in this pic, she's usually dressed. Maybe that's what freaked Elvis out- "What the heck is that dog doing in a frilly dress?!"

Back
Top Bottom